Conflict install challange: USB , COM, & driver issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxpiano

Beta member
Hi- I have been trying to solve an install problem. My husband has this fancy heart rate monitor that can sync with the computer so you can see all you heart work out information. The problem is the driver won't install. Here's the detailed information:

Windows 2000 pro with all updates and service packs.
Athlon xp with 1300 processor, 512 mb ram, 4 usb ports on back and 1 on front (I built the system about a year ago).

I plug in USB, windows discovers plug & play (it is compatable)
then it walks me through the install process, finds the correct driver on the cd and then installs and i get this message

"An error occurred during the installation of the device.
The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance."

I then go to device manager and have a ! over the usb i tried to install.

the computer program for this fancy heart rate monitor says that com3 is occupied, but the heart rate monitor is in com3, but it can't see it beacuse the freaking driver won't load.

I can't get the driver to load for the life of me, i have uninstalled, reinstalled, updated driver. I have used the driver off the cd i have used the driver off the website.

I think this is a usb issue, maybe a conflict??? I have unplugged all my other usb stuff, there was a joystick plugged in.

When i opened my palm pilot desktop, i got this error flashed that com3 was busy, but the palm program is set up to use com1???

I am waiting for the gods of this group to decend upon me with a answer!

thanks

Hi,
Maybe you need to instal the driver before plugging in the USB cable. On some USB equipment you need to have the drivers already on the machine. Then when you plug in the equipment it just works. I have had this with a modem, printer and cd burner. all had to have the drivers installed before they were plugged in.
Give it a go....

how do i check what com3 is? I know if i go into device manager is shows me com1 & 2 and when the usb is plugged in it shows it as com3. is there a different spot where i can check my com allocations and assignments.

thanks

ok, i will check that. here is the funny thing, i took the fancy schmancy heart rate monitor to my laptop with home XP and it went in just fine, everything loaded and it works on the laptop, but not the hubby's computer. But it did work once, and then it wasn't used for more than a month and it woudn't work, so i uninstalled everything ane reinstalled it an now have the problem.

I'll check the bios. -thanksl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom