Question about the i7 960 3.4 ghz proccessor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack_morrison

Beta member
I have recently purchased an i7 960 proccesor and a Gigabyte X58 G1 Sniper Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard. This is part of my next system upgrade and i was wondering if i can use my old DDR3 1600mhz ram or do i have to upgrade to the i7 kit ram. im hoping that i can use this old ram till next month when i can afford to get 24 giggs of the newer ram

Thanks for all answers in advance
Jack:D

thanks for the quick reply, yer i wont proberly ever use 24 giggs of ram, but its one of those things really isnt it :p people dont need fast cars to get them from a to b, but they get them anyway. i gues i just wanna max out my rigg to its max potential ;)

but its great that i can save up a bit first as im a little skint rofl, spesh with christmas comming up
Jack

I wouldn't really compare 24GB of RAM to a fast car, its more like having 24 cars.
While its nifty to say "I have 24 cars", the vast majority will sit around unused.
Like MoM said, you'll only have 4-8 cars at most you'll ever use, the other 16-20 will sit in a garage collecting dust.

The i7 960 is a triple channel CPU. Or it has a triple channel memory controller. You'll want to install memory in sets of 3, as in, 3GB (3x1GB) - 6GB (6x1GB) or (3x2GB) - 12GB (6x2GB) or (3x4GB) - 24GB (6x4GB).

6GB (3x2GB) would be my recommendation.

thanks for the information on the i7, i was wondering exactly how the triple channel worked, is it compulsary to install ram in sets of three or is tht for maximim performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom