Hard disk problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louren

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I have some trouble with a hardisk of a friend of mine. It is an Toshiba external USB harddisk wich is broken. I opened it, and extracted the IDE harddisk from it, connecting it directly to my PC. But it won't be recognized.

Acronis says it is an Olivetti partition or something, but I really can't find out what this is for, does anyone now that? The partition used to have a password, so it might have been encrypted or something. Maybe this has something to do with the Olivetti partition?

Thanks in advance!

if you are running windows 7 open up the disk management console if the drive appears in there then you may find that the drive is more likely encrypted, have you had any errors come from the drive i.e cylic redundancy check?

if you are running windows 7 open up the disk management console if the drive appears in there then you may find that the drive is more likely encrypted, have you had any errors come from the drive i.e cylic redundancy check?
Hi, thanks for your reply. This PC is still running Windows XP (I have a laptop which runs Win 7, but I can't connect an IDE disk to it), but Windows XP does come with disk management console as well, and it showed up there, so that might be a little hope, but it doesn't recognize it as a valid partition. I can't run chkdsk on it as Windows is unable to provide it a drive letter. Therefore I can't pass the driveletter to chkdsk <volume>.

I'll try to do some disk checking using Ultimate Boot CD, but I am still wondering if anyone nows what an Olivetti partition type means?

Some external drive controllers use a proprietary file format on the hard drive. I have never heard of an Olivetti partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom