Changing the Windows 7 logon screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
This was a little trick I figured out while I was tinkering tonight in the Registry Editor clearing out some junk, clutter and other corrupt files.

I was getting tired of that old boring blue windows default screen when I log on to Windows 7, so I figured there has to be a way to change it. Poking around I figured out how.

1. Run your 'regedit' from your start menu. When it opens, open the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background

2. Once in, right click on 'OEMBackground' file and click modify. Set the data value to 1. Click 'Ok' then close out of the Registry Editor.

3. Next go to 'My Computer' and open the following path C:\Windows\System32\Oobe

4. Once in the 'Oobe' folder create a folder called 'Info' or create a new one and over write the current one.

5. In the new 'Info' folder create one more folder called 'backgrounds'

6. At this point simply copy and paste a .JPG of your choice (preferably with the same screen resolution) and name it 'backgroundDefaut'. If there is a file there already, over write it. (Note: The file has to be less then 256KB or it won't work)

7. Log off, or lock your PC and presto, your new image will appear on your logon screen!

This should go in the Windows forum, in TT&T. Nice trick. Your pics aren't yet approved, but that does look correct.

Just to Add on to this... It has a file size limit I believe. I've just used little applets I've found online to change my logon screen. Resizes it correctly, and he its too large of a file, it automatically makes a copy and shrinks it down. Haven't noticed any lost quality yet. Done it with several pics, and a few different apps. Can't remember off hand what they're called though. On my phone so can't really look as well right now.

Sweet, I knew you could do this bit I never went to figure out how. Thanks :) Gonna have a plain black background now to go with my plain empty black desktop :p

Just to Add on to this... It has a file size limit I believe. I've just used little applets I've found online to change my logon screen. Resizes it correctly, and he its too large of a file, it automatically makes a copy and shrinks it down. Haven't noticed any lost quality yet. Done it with several pics, and a few different apps. Can't remember off hand what they're called though. On my phone so can't really look as well right now.

You are correct. I believe it is 256KB... Don't quote me on that.

Tried it but whenever I try to move an image into there I get the error 'Target folder is not available'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom