Moderate gaming build $1k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, Intels warrenty does not preclude use of aftermartek hsf... It says "Improperly used or installed"

No where does it say overclocking or aftermarket hsf are against warrenty. So stop post that

http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/english_3yr_warranty.pdf
"any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel's publicly available specifications"

Quite definitely covers overclocking. A lawyer could certainly interpret that to cover aftermarket heatsinks too (since only the stock heatsink is in the specifications), though that's less definite.

First, thanks for the responses.

Parts Not Required keyboard, mouse, optical drive, hdd (from old system till prices drop), operationg system (Oem Windows 7 64 bit already on order), ups

Motherboard / Cpu - Yami, I am partial to the Z68 north bridge and Gen 3 motherboards. Thanks for the comments on the ASUS - I am considering them but the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 seems to be ahead - z68 pcie 3 gen 3 and price. Only drawback is it is not available from Amazon and somewhat limited on SATA connections.

I planned to purchase today but looks like I will slip it to tomorrow - need to nail down motherboard first.

Ah, but doesn't the specs give voltage ranges and what not on the avaliable whitepages?
Also, the producdt is the chip, and the hsf.. If they're not modified, i.e not cut up, painted or changed, then its all good. It no where says they need to be used together.

Actually, Intels warrenty does not preclude use of aftermartek hsf... It says "Improperly used or installed"

No where does it say overclocking or aftermarket hsf are against warrenty. So stop post that

http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/english_3yr_warranty.pdf
:( That is incorrect. If you read the warranty information you just linked to it says the following (my bold added),

Intel warrants the Product (defined as the boxed Intel® processor and the accompanying thermal solution)... ... if the Product is properly used and installed, for a period of three (3) years. This Limited Warranty does NOT cover:
• damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing; OR
• any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel's publicly available specifications

So that definitely covers both the use of after market coolers and it covers overclocking. So YOU, patonb, stop telling me what to post. If you have a problem with my posts, report it to admin. You have no authority to tell posters what they can, or cannot post.

My job here is to ensure users have all the information needed to make an informed decision. It is not your job to decide what information posters need or don't need.

Just my 2cents here Digerati - putting together a build is, especially if it is a newbie ( I am not ), is full of questions doubts and fear of getting it wrong. All the information - yields information OVERLOAD !!!. Part of what we hopefully do here is reduce the information to what is critical to the build and next our advice on the build. Hopefully helping to reduce the stress of a build and adding to the enjoyment.
IMO your comments on warranty being voided are alarming to those who are uninformed. Have there been any vendor refusals of warranting a cpu due to an after market cooler that was installed PROPERLY ? I think not but maybe I am wrong.
I agree with providing all the information but a better way of putting it might be to caution the newbie builder to be careful to properly install the cooler !

Finally thanks for your comments and take my feedback with "a grain of salt"

IMO your comments on warranty being voided are alarming to those who are uninformed. Have there been any vendor refusals of warranting a cpu due to an after market cooler that was installed PROPERLY ? I think not but maybe I am wrong.
I agree with providing all the information but a better way of putting it might be to caution the newbie builder to be careful to properly install the cooler !

Please note how this side topic started when I simply said,
Also note that using an aftermarket cooler on an Intel or AMD CPU violates the terms of the CPU warranty. That is typically not a concern for most gamers, but something everyone should be aware of.
Now really, was that an alarming statement?

As I noted in another discussion, as a shop owner attempting to get an RMA for customers, I have been refused - by both AMD and Intel. It is a rare occasion, but it has happened. And as it happened, it was noted to me the registered owners of these CPUs had a history of getting RMAs for CPUs.

99 out of 100 times, if you are upfront with AMD and Intel and tell them the whole truth, they will replace the CPU - because they want your repeat business.

But note I said if you are upfront with them when seeking the RMA. Understand that withholding pertinent information when attempting to receive a product or service is deception for personal gain or profit - the definition of "fraud", a criminal offense with significant circumstances, including jail time and fines. Now that IS alarming, right?

So because the circumstances are real, and very severe, as technical advisors, I think "raising the alarm" is not only appropriate, but the right thing to do. You have the right, after all, to ignore it if you wish. But ignorance of the law is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

That is interesting, so if someone abuses RMAs on cpus they are likely to have their RMAs questioned - makes sense.

Is this seriously going to start coming up in every build thread that has OC'ing or an aftermarket HS/F?

Digerati, I would suggest posting all the warranty information and legal consequences in the Overclocking and Modding thread and ask for it to be stickied.
It is certainly useful information, but it seriously detracts the original purpose of a thread when people start going back and forth on it in build posts.
I can't explain why but it obviously rubs some people the wrong way and creates a bunch of irrelevant posts, so why keep doing it?

Put it in one place for people to find, feel free to link to it, but please lets stop filling up threads with this stuff.

*Edit - Strike linking, thats why this started, just get it stickied so its at the top of the OC/Mod area.

Hi Roark, Sounds like a good idea to me.

Roark, could you please comment on my build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom