Moderate gaming build $1k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulinus

Solid State Member
Moderate gaming build $1k

Plan to keep system for 3-4 years, Moderate overclocking and gaming. May go to SLI in future.
Current monitor resolution 1920x1080, will replace if I go SLI in future.
I already have keyboard, mouse, optical drive, and operating system.

ram Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mhz 240-Pin DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3M2A1600C​9 by Corsair $49.99
gpu EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1 GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card (01G-P3-1370-TR​) by EVGA $159.99
***** definitely open to Suggestions on gpu
case Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower Case with SuperSpeed USB 3.0 - (RC-932-KKN5-GP​) by Coolermaster $142.77
cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R​1) Offered by LLYtech by Cooler Master $34.91
cpu Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 by Intel $214.99
ps Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Core i7 and Core i5 - CMPSU-750HX by Corsair $137.99
tot ~ 741

mb undecided - prefer "future proof" since I will keep it for 3 - 4 years. Z68, usb3 ports 2, usb 2 mininum - 4 minimum, PCI-E 3 slots 2, Overclockable !
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 or ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA would be ok BUT I prefer to purchase from Amazon rather than newegg.
Gigabyte motherboards are available but am having trouble deciding on one.
Help on selecting a motherboard is greatly appreciated.

I love my Asus P8P67 Deluxe, though it might be a bit overkill for you. Look at the Asus P8P67 Pro, or Evo.

A couple of comments. First, make sure the OS you plan on using is a full "Retail" license, or if OEM, has never been used on another computer. OEM licenses are not transferable to new computers. Also, since you are selecting 8Gb of RAM, make sure it is a 64-bit OS.

Also note that using an aftermarket cooler on an Intel or AMD CPU violates the terms of the CPU warranty. That is typically not a concern for most gamers, but something everyone should be aware of.

I also don't see a hard drive listed. Note that major flooding in Thailand has cause major damage to Western Digital factories and Seagate suppliers' factories resulting in skyrocketing drive prices. So be ready for the sticker shock.

Finally, hold off on selecting your RAM and CPU until you decide on the motherboard. Then check the motherboards' QVLs - qualified vendors lists - on the board's webpage for compatible CPUs and RAM. You must buy a CPU from the list but there are too many RAM makers and RAM models for board makers to test them all. So select RAM with the same electrical specs as listed RAM.

Finally, hold off on selecting your RAM and CPU until you decide on the motherboard.
I would say CPU choice would come before motherboard choice; choose the ideal CPU and then a good motherboard to go with it. Agreed on the RAM, ofc.

Also note that using an aftermarket cooler on an Intel or AMD CPU violates the terms of the CPU warranty. That is typically not a concern for most gamers, but something everyone should be aware of.
While this is technically true I've never heard it actually be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom