Monitor No Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

leekbecker

Beta member
I have tried searching for how to fix this problem but wasn't able to come up with anything. I am not computer illiterate but also not a whiz at this. I am getting a no signal on my monitor which was working before I tried to upgrade my cd-rom to a dvd-rom. I have tried the montior on 2 PC's with the same effect. I know the PC's are booting up as I can hear the start "music" from Windows booting up. The monitor had been changing to a weird sort of blue color for the last several months. Is it likely that now the monitor has just given up or should I be trying something else? I hate to spend the money on a new monitor if that is not the issue. The monitor is an LCD ProView and is only about 3 years old. Thanksf for any help you can provide.

Make sure your connections are tight. To your PC and monitor.

Could be your inverter going bad. Try shining a flashlight at the screen, at a 45* angle. If you can see the desktop, you need a new backlight.

I forgot to mention I did check the connections on both ends, multiple times, hoping that's all it was....lol. Is a backlight something that can be replaced or would I be better of getting a new montor. Thanks.

lol, never tried that one before...
That's actually the classic test for backlight or inverter failure. You can't really tell which has failed with this, but it does tell you if the monitor is getting and processing a signal or not. Newer LED LCDs don't use CCFL tubes or inverters, so this test won't work with them.

Parts are typically $50 to $150, depending on size of the screen and availability. Any reputable repair shop can do the job in 1 hour, 2 tops so from there, you can determine labor charges. That said, many shops charge a flat labor rate (plus parts) for replacing inverters and backlights, so call around. And there are some repair shops on-line that specialize in these repairs where you can send the monitor to.

If you are handy at these sort of things, you can fix it yourself - it is not really hard. In fact, figuring out how to open up the monitor's case is often the biggest challenge. There are many good tutorials.

Notebook monitors are a bit different because notebooks are so proprietary and compact. But a reputable repair shop does this all the time so while still a chore, an experienced technician knows what to expect, has picked up a few tricks, has the right tools handy, and knows the correct strategic placement for his tongue. A regular monitor is much easier to pop open because the back is the back, and not some decorative cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom