Cpu upgrade or a pretty big update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beluga

In Runtime
So im kind of lost... It seems like my pc is still good to go but it seems like my cpu needs an upgrade, it isnt too visible, battlefield 3 works great but i still feel like it might need some upgrading. The 4gigs of ram really has to be upgraded seems like its the minimum these days....

So the question is the following:
What should i do and where to start?

I was thinking of the phenom...just cause its cheap. My best cpu to date has been the intel core 2 duo e6800 conroe. Every amd profuct after that has not been as fast. My intel was running at pretty hefty speeds and mashed amd on the super pi test.

It seems when im only internet browsing the hard drive is constantly doing something and slowing the system down. Its a WD black 1tb sata3. My wd caviar se 160 is faster and so is my laptops. I have done a smart defrag and used iobit software alot.

So i can either upgrade to a phenom x4/6 BE version and add ram. or i could buy an intel mobo with the cheapest i7 and a twin sLi at 2x16 2.0

Anither thing i could do is a simple cpu upgrade and get a ssd startip drive of about 128gb.

My psu is 550w by a crappy vompany called silvershield. If i jam its fan the computer moves from being a russian tu 154 to a sophisticated a380. Metaphorically of ourse ;)

So ideas, best idea will be rewarded with a smile.

I think the first question should be, what is your budget?
And the second question, got a link to the retail site you use?

lets say budget will be about 600-800 dollars max. Depends how much i want to use...secondly my retail site i use is in Finnish so i dont think it would not really help...

my retail site i use is in Finnish so i dont think it would not really help...
I've shopped in Czech, French, and Norwegian so far on these forums, whats another language/country.
Shopping off the site you use means we can suggest items that will actually be available and within budget (budget in... Euros? would help).
Plus, knowing what site you use means we can post it in [url]http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/hardware-shopping-megathread-212899/[/URL] for others.

Yeah, it's easier than you'd think to browse tech stuff in languages you don't know; all the names for products are the same and most words are similar enough you can tell what they probably are, particularly in the specifications bits.

Hmmm, I's a hard decision. You can put a upper end amd cpu in, and get a quality 5-650 psu. Then save more and then update to a i5 1155 later, if you need more power, in say a yr. As I think a i5, z68,m ddr3 ram and psu is out of your budget, but quite frankly not in a huge need given youre boards upgrade ability.

You can swap to Intel in that budget, my only question is are you using a retail or OEM version of Windows.
If its OEM it might not be worth the switch, you'd have to get a new copy since the license is tied to the motherboard.

What I found:
CPU: €209 Intel i5 2500K
MB: €172 MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)
RAM: €73 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600
PSU: €128 Corsair TX850 V2

Total = €582

An 850w PSU isn't going to be necessary for your current setup, but if you decide to get a 2nd GTX 560Ti you'll be glad you have it.
Otherwise you can always downgrade to something smaller.

*Edit - If you just want to upgrade what you have:
CPU: €122 AMD Phenom II X4 965
PSU: €67 Corsair CX600
SSD: €171 120GB Corsair Force Series 3
-or-: €166 120GB OCZ Agility3

Total = €360 (with the Corsair SSD)
Then you would be able to get 4GB more RAM of what you already have.

Also, for both suggestions I picked parts that are available immediately, or within about a week.
If you are willing to wait longer for parts there may be some other options to consider.

bought a phenom II 965 BE. Works smoothly. COst me 120€ for this very cheap upgrade. Idling now nicely at 4020mhz :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom