help building a gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

random956

Beta member
so for the past 10 years I have always played consoles. After playing my friends computer, I have convinced myself to get one. My budget will be $1200 with a monitor and mouse. Maybe a little more if its really worth it, like $1350. Im most likely going to get this closer to Christmas for all the deals.
so i need suggestions for
cpu:
memory:
case:
optical drive:
motherboard:
video card:
hard drive:
powersupply:
case:
monitor:
mouse and keyboard:
Window 7:
I will be playing games like battlefield 3, skyrim,bit of fallout new vegas. I will also watch movies probably, no blu ray tho.

Thanks for the help guys. thank you in advance.

If you are waiting for Christmas to buy, we cannot tell you any type of deals that will come up until then.

But, for a guideline, look at a 2500 or 2500K CPU for starters.

General gaming setup:
*note, I left out a hard drive due to the recent price inflation.

CPU: $215 Intel i5 2500K
MB: $125 ASRock Extreme3 Gen3
RAM: $55 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600/CAS8
ODD: $21 Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner
PSU: $95 Corsair TX650 V2
GPU: $340 EVGA GTX 570
Case: $50 Sentey Black Box 4284 v2.1
Monitor: $170 Asus 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p
Keyboard/Mouse: $82 Razer Arctosa + Razer DeathAdder

Total = $1,253 (before rebates and combo deals)

Due to recent flooding in Taiwan prices on hard drives has skyrocketed so I left one out, hopefully by the time you buy this they will have come back down a little.
Also a lot of this can probably be combo'd for greater savings, but combo deals aren't permanent and may not be available by the time you buy.

alright thank you for your replies. I was looking at monitors and wouldn't i want one with 2ms instead of 5?

alright thank you for your replies. I was looking at monitors and wouldn't i want one with 2ms instead of 5?
That figure is pretty much meaningless; different monitor manufacturers measure that figure in different ways. Some measure how long it takes for a pixel to go from black, to white, to black again, whereas some measure from gray, then white, and back to gray, which is twice as fast.

In essence, just treat everything 5ms and below as the same.

so i have had some unfortunate turn of event with my music equipment and have had to spend a decent amount of money for new things. Since im down a couple hundred i have to down grade my budget to around 1k , with the monitor. So i obviously have to downgrade some parts you guys have listed. I was looking at something along the lines of this:
cpu: Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
mb: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128511
ram: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226095

same odd mentioned above
same psu
for the video card im not sure since i have to cut down so much. Same case and keyboard/mice mentioned above.
Monitor:Newegg.com - Hannspree By HannsG SL231DPB Glossy Black 23" 5ms Full HD LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 1000:1 (Typical)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom