Motherboard heatsinks, thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
Just a quick question; would it be worth it at all to unscrew the motherboard heatsinks and replace the default thermal paste/tape with some TX-2?

I usually apply fresh paste quite often, but it really shouldn't need to be changed very often. Once a year wouldn't be a bad interval. I can't stress this next point hard enough, you only need to use a little paste. Just a Little, 90% of the people use more than they need to. If you cut a BB in half, that would be about all I use.

Exit:

My bad, your talking about the mobo heatsinks, only one or two of those sinks can use TX-2. The others need tape. What mobo are you using?

What are your temps like? The bigger sinks can use paste, the sinks close to the socket use tape. I'm using my tablet right now but I'll post a pic of the mobo and a link to the proper tape tomorrow.

Edit:

A BB, like a BB gun.

CPU temps or motherboard temps? If CPU then I hit ~67-68C in Intel Burn Test with the settings in my sig. Dunno where to get motherboard temps :p

yamif.jpg

#1 - These two heatsinks require thermal tape. I found this in the UK, you can just cut it to size.

Kustom PCs Thermal Pad 100x100x1mm 1 piece

#2 - You'll notice this heatsink is attached to heatsinks#1 by a heatpipe. I haven't actually removed this but as far as I know it is not actually cooling anything underneath it. It is just providing more cooling power to heatsinks#1. If you find that it is cooling something then it will probably require thermal tape.

#3 - You should be able to use TX-2 on this chip (the actual P67 chipset).

yami2m.jpg

I usually run Realtemp to keep my eyes on the cpu cores. Every now and then I check my Motherboard Temp using the Sensor Monitor included with the Asus AI Suite II. The value label CPU is just the sensor located on the mobo directly underneath the socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom