Sons 16th Birthday gaming PC gift - please look over and make suggestions??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would I want more than 8 GB of RAM? Also can someone confirm that the CPU cooler I posted will work well? I know that it can be "iffy" around the RAM/CPU area on some MOBO's. Hopefully last question /topic- please suggest a SSD ( can I use a SATA III - whats the difference ) to use under $150 - will pick that up ASAP and a GPU ( 560ti or a 6950) .
Sorry, ignore my comment I was looking at the original post. 8gb is massive.

Also can someone confirm that the CPU cooler I posted will work well? I know that it can be "iffy" around the RAM/CPU area on some MOBO's.
The Corsair CAFA70 is a decent cooler at $43, but darn good at $28 with the rebate.
The only other ones I'd consider around that price are the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or Evo ($26/$35).

The RAM has tall heat spreaders, so I can see where you would have a concern here.
The fan usually hangs over the first RAM slot, since you have 4 slots and 2 sticks, you can just use slots 3/4 instead of 1/2.
I know some boards suggest specific slots if you're only using 2 modules, but it seems like this board doesn't care.
ASRock Manual said:
You have to install identical DDR3 DIMM pair in Dual Channel A (DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1; Black slots; see p.13 No.5)
or identical DDR3 DIMM pair in Dual Channel B (DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B22; Black slots; see p.13 No.6)
(http://download.asrock.com/manual/Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3.pdf)

but it seems like this board doesn't care.
It cares. With one pair of sticks you still have to install the sticks in paired slots, it just does not care which channel you use. For example, if you installed one stick in A1 and the other in A2, it would not run in dual-channel. You have to use A1 with B1 or A2 with B2.

Ok - I think I got that - so must install RAM on the appropriate paired slots - I am sure the MOBO directions will name these in a diagram. Can you tell I have yet to actually build a PC from scratch .....So use the paired slots furthest away from CPU as possible to fit the CPU cooler properly.

I'm surprised no one picked it up.. I would go up to 6gb of memory for a gaming PC at minimum.. But then again.. That would bring you over 700$. You could always upgrade at a later time! Other than that.. Nice build for the price!!!! I really hope he enjoys it!

Please disregard my comment.. I didn't read all the post replys that covered this topic!!! Sorry!

Normally, you would use slot 1 and 3.
That depends on the specific motherboard. And the revision number too. I was helping an individual with a Gigabyte board and I was looking at the manual on Gigabyte's US site and he was in Gigabyte's UK site. Same model number board but his was a different revision number. My manual said 1 & 3, and 2 & 4 for dual-channel and his said 1 & 2, and 3 & 4. It caused a great deal of confusion until I switched over to Gigabyte UK and literally got on the same page as him.

Fortunately, most motherboard makers use color coded RAM slots for each pair. But still, the bottom line is to read the manual for your specific model and revision number.

ASRock Manual said:
You have to install identical DDR3 DIMM pair in Dual Channel A (DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1; Black slots; see p.13 No.5)
or identical DDR3 DIMM pair in Dual Channel B (DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2; Black slots; see p.13 No.6)
(http://download.asrock.com/manual/Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3.pdf)
Making it more complicated than it needs to be.
These are your RAM slots (they're all black):

CPU ⇦ | A1 || A2 || B1 || B2 | ⇨ edge of board

RAM goes in A1+B1, or A2+B2.
Suggest A2+B2 for CPU cooler clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom