RAM Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
Looking to fill my system out with the max supported RAM (16gb). However im wondering how effective 16 gigs is going to be. I have a feeling that because each stick is 4gb its going to be slower than a 2gb stick. I dont believe i have any programs that will utilize all 16GB. Im running Windows 7 x64 on an AMD platform that supports 1066/1333/1600(O.C.). Thats my thoughts... Now heres my question. Will 8GB (4 x 2gig) be faster than 16GB (4 x 4gig)? If you need extra information feel free to ask. Thanks!

It depends upon what your doing. If your just gaming or doing light duty work then 8GB is plenty. If your doing some heavy duty work like 3D Rendering or a lot of Video/Image editing or other similar tasks then 16GB could be useful.

Will 8GB be faster than 16GB? They should operate about the same unless your doing the type of tasks I've already mentioned and then the 16GB will help you run faster just because you won't be using the page file as soon or as often.

16GB will stress the memory controller harder than 8GB will and 4GB is even less stress. The less stress the less heat.

Im talking current games, Battlefield 3, WoW, Starcraft 2, Crysis 2, Diablo 3 (SOOON!). And occasionally 3DVia/Solidworks, for work. So the 8gigs would do it for me? Im running 4gig now on x64 Windows 7 and i know its designed to run on 8... but will there be a difference from 8gigs vs. 16gig for how ill be using them? I almost feel that 16gigs would be slow(er) unless like salymate said that i had programs that would utilize all 16 on a regular basis.

Also on a related note, i remember seeing articles about OC'ing your RAM on AMD platforms. If i remember correctly the issue is that AMD mem controller supports up to 1333 only... so in order to get your 1600 ram to run at 1600 you need to tweak them in the BIOS. Anyone have / know of a good guide? Thanks again!

Like Slaymate said, 8GB is more than enough for gaming. As far as the AMD memory controller thing goes that depends on your motherboard, not your processor. Lets say your motherboard's standard is 1333 and you shove a 1600 in there. It will not run at 1600. Overclocking your ram is an option but personally I have never done it before.

It is dependent on the proc, id like to know how you were taught otherwise. It does depend on your board, yes, but if your proc doesn't support it, your losing out on the 1600. The i7 and Phenom 2 x4 don't natively support 1600 (officially). A simple search on toms-hardware will clear that up for you. .

Back to my question. Ive been able to find a good overclocking guide for AMD platforms. Anyone have a suggestion for RAM that works well with AMD? Im running 4gb of GSkill Ripjaws 1333 right now. And from what Ive read AMD doesn't care for Ripjaws all that much. Anyone have any experience with a good brand / model of RAM for an AMD platform? Thanks!

Great deal!

I'm looking at this http://e.newegg.com/servlet/cc6?gLmkQBWDQTTDVLjpJjhILjlkUSWxnuHptQJhuVaVSYVy0w9382X30eVolli%3A%2F%2FOOOQgLOLnnQJhu%2FyjhKmJl%2FyjhKmJlQHkizf%3FblLu%3DvCTGSACTRSWCWTS%25TAguXuJ%3DGf8qE9SSRTSS%25TAJuXuuJ%3DGf8qE9SSRTSSqXqpgKLzfqXqblLuqXqTRqSWCqWTSVXLX and I'd like to know if I'm better off spending 30$ more for a higher performance model. Thanks!

Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT51264BA160A

its on newegg. One if their guerilla deals. 40$ Should I buck up the thirty extra.bucks for a set of ram that isn't thrown on the discount list (for a reason I'm guessing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom