OC'n Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

roshin157

Beta member
First post so here it goes! I just finished building my 3rd PC but this is my first time OC'n. My computer seems to be stable at 4079.7 Mhz. It has been 2 days since I have restarted my PC and I have never seen it crash yet. With no stress on the CPU im sitting around 44 degrees and stressed playing games around 50 degrees. Because it is so stable I am wondering just how high I can take it and am looking for some advice. I will list all of my current settings/PC specs and would be very grateful for some feed back if I can adjust the voltage, CPU multiplier, BUS or core speed to go higher and what they should be if they are not currently correct. I have been using "TurboV EVO" to adjust everything and haven't gone through BIOS.

Core Speed - 4079.7 Mhz
CPU Voltage - 1.475 V
Multiplier - x17
BUS Speed - 240 Mhz

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4Ghz
MB - ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Heatsink - Arctic Cooling ACFZ13 92mm CPU Cooler
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

You can probably squeeze a few hundred mhz out of it, but unless you're under water it's doubtful. If I was you, I would stay happy at 4 and try lowering the volts while using SuperPI or Interburntest to test for stability.

First post so here it goes! I just finished building my 3rd PC but this is my first time OC'n. My computer seems to be stable at 4079.7 Mhz. It has been 2 days since I have restarted my PC and I have never seen it crash yet. With no stress on the CPU im sitting around 44 degrees and stressed playing games around 50 degrees. Because it is so stable I am wondering just how high I can take it and am looking for some advice. I will list all of my current settings/PC specs and would be very grateful for some feed back if I can adjust the voltage, CPU multiplier, BUS or core speed to go higher and what they should be if they are not currently correct. I have been using "TurboV EVO" to adjust everything and haven't gone through BIOS.

Core Speed - 4079.7 Mhz
CPU Voltage - 1.475 V
Multiplier - x17
BUS Speed - 240 Mhz

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4Ghz
MB - ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Heatsink - Arctic Cooling ACFZ13 92mm CPU Cooler
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

With your current heatsink fan and the amount of ram you have, your cpu can't take that much abuse yet and I would not try it if I were you.

This cpu can OC to 6.4ghz with liquid nitrogen, however for home use I think 3.8ghz or 4.0 is perfect for now.
Also keep in mind that the cpu eats up some watts and does take a tole on your PSU if you don't have a good name brand.

My system and some others here is similiar to yours, leave it be or you might damage that cpu, and amd will not honor a warrenty due to consumer accidents and abuse.

If I was you, I would stay happy at 4 and try lowering the volts while using SuperPI or Interburntest to test for stability.

Ok I will stay around 4 based on your guy's advice. Last thing I want to do is push my CPU past what it can do and damage it. What should the volts be lowered to?

Also keep in mind that the cpu eats up some watts and does take a tole on your PSU if you don't have a good name brand.

Power Supply -
SILVERSTONE Strider Essential series ST60F-ES 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready

Is this an ok power supply for my system and what im running? It is a brand new PS.

With your current heatsink fan and the amount of ram you have, your cpu can't take that much abuse yet and I would not try it if I were you.

Yeah im going to upgrade to 8GB of RAM soon. I just had the 4GB's brand new that I haven't used so I thought id see how they do. Whats wrong with my heatsink fan though?

Ok I will stay around 4 based on your guy's advice. Last thing I want to do is push my CPU past what it can do and damage it. What should the volts be lowered to?

Power Supply -
SILVERSTONE Strider Essential series ST60F-ES 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready

Is this an ok power supply for my system and what im running? It is a brand new PS.

Yeah im going to upgrade to 8GB of RAM soon. I just had the 4GB's brand new that I haven't used so I thought id see how they do. Whats wrong with my heatsink fan though?

Yes what you have is great for now, but when I mentioned the psu, you have to take into account you have a hdd or 2, video card and mobo running off of it.
If you push it abit too hard, it will be a very sad week for you if you kill that cpu and other hardware. ;)

If you really want to push it, try to attempt it at 4.6ghz when you have a better heatsink fan and effiecent memory to do so.

Even when I have 6gb's now of DDR3 kingston ram at 1066, it will clock up to 4.5ghz, scream and shut itself down.
Reason being, too much heat from oc and sorry heatsink fan many people told me earlier in feburary not to use it for oc'ing! :D

Good luck and becarefull with that pc of yours.

Power Supply -

Every CPU is different and with that being said that might be the lowest volts you can have at that clock. You will just have to tinker with it by lowering the voltage at small increments at a time and stress test till it is unstable.

If you go with 8GB of RAM make sure it is 2 sticks as 4 sticks can put to much stress on your IMC and may reduce your clocks or need increased voltages.

What he means is, your heatsink is kind of small for what you are trying to do with this chip. I'm amazed at your current temps as is, so by stressing it further we recommend better cooling. If at all means you can actually lower your volts at the current clock then your load temps will go down too. Just an FYI, to do 4.1ghz on a 955BE I was using a TRUE120 Black with a couple of Sythe Kaze Ultra fans and my load was somewhere around the 65c mark with all 4 cores cranking.

Well that really bums me out. Thought I had a good heatsink fan because of my temps and reviews I read with people having my CPU chip and OC'n it. Do you guys have any recommendations for a better heatsink fan? I would like to avoid water cooling so just an air movement HSF. As for the RAM yes when I do upgrade it, it will be 2 sticks of RAM totaling to 8GB.

Well that really bums me out. Thought I had a good heatsink fan because of my temps and reviews I read with people having my CPU chip and OC'n it. Do you guys have any recommendations for a better heatsink fan? I would like to avoid water cooling so just an air movement HSF. As for the RAM yes when I do upgrade it, it will be 2 sticks of RAM totaling to 8GB.
Well if you stay there and those are truly your current temps then I don't see the point in changing out the cooler unless you plan to push it later on. Good on the RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom