Build review before purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right.. I had checked that a little bit after posting the message, and realized the ram cooler covers all slots (saw that in corsair's "how to set up the cooler" video...

Oh well.. So I guess, since the mobo is dual channel, I'm pretty much looking for 2x4Go, with the lowest timings possible, and I'd like it to be at least 1866Mhz tested.. Is that right?

As for the GPU.. Seeing how expensive that Asus card is, I might as well get MSI's lightning Xtreme edition =p

Is there a noticeable difference between the Twin Frozr and the ridiculously expensive lightning Xtreme?

You'll get a better CPU overclock with DDR3 1600. And you'll get better performance with a higher CPU OC at 1600 than you will with a slightly lower CPU OC at 1866.

Pretty sure I'm going to go for the Maximus IV ;)

Since I need to get the Haf x anyways to have room for the gtx580 sli, and the noctua cooler, I might as well get the eATX mobo ^^ Besides, the 75$ or so that I'd save by downgrading the mobo wouldn't really be useful =p

The main differences I can see is the Lightning Extreme has a slightly higher factory overclock, is using the Twin Frozr III cooler, and has blue fans.
I can't seem to find a good comparison between the Twin Frozr II and Twin Frozr III coolers, but I wouldn't expect it to be worth the price ($95 difference here in the USA).

The Twin Frozr III has a slightly different fan design and starts the fans in reverse for thirty seconds after the card initiates to "blow out dust" and the fans also get whiter in the center the hotter the card gets. The real difference between the MSi Lightning and the MSi Lightning Xtreme is the Xtreme has 3 GB of memory which comes at much more of a premium than it really should.

If you plan to only get one card get the Xtreme, if you want to SLI just get the 1.5 GB Lightning.

So here's the final listing, tell me what you guys think =p

SSD drive: Crucial M4 128Go

Proc: I7 2700k

Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-z

Case: Haf X

PSU: Corsair AX - 850w (hope it'll be enough to SLI the 580's)

Proc cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Graphic card: Msi's 580gtx Lightning (not the extreme version)

Memory: Still not sure here, but from what I gathered, choose a 1600Mhz from a good brand at 1.5V with the lowest possible timings..

What do you think?

Considering that you plan on doing some heavy OC'ing on the CPU, and the GPUs as well? I would get a higher wattage PSU.
A Corsair 850 would probably be okay with everything at stock, but doubtful with overclocks.

guru3d.com said:
GeForce GTX 580
On your average system the card requires you to have a 650 Watt power supply unit.

GeForce GTX 580 in SLI
A second card requires you to add another 250 Watts. You need a 900+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (1 KiloWatt recommended if you plan on any overclocking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom