Build review before purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diktat

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I'm currently trying to decide how to build my new pc, designed exclusively for gaming, with ultra settings in mind. I live in France, so I apologize in advance for my bad English, and for any components i refer to by their European name.

I'm looking for the best quality/price ratio, I'm a student, so relatively poor =p (pasta for 3 months in order to upgrade my computer ^^)

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Here's what I have so far:

Proc: Intel Core I7 2700k

PSU: Corsair AX - 1200w

Ventirad: Noctua NH-D14 (proc cooling)

Graphics card: MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC

Memory: Corsair DDR3 Kit 2 x 4 Go Dominator GT - PC16000 - 2000 MHz - CAS 9

Hard drive for OS and games: Crucial M4 128Go SATA revision 3.0
Hard drive for storage: reusing my old velociraptor 10.000 rpm, since I have 4 1TB externals for real storage.

Case and Motherboard: Now here's where I'm still hesitating. I was dead set on the Antec twelve hundred v3, but then opted for the Asus Maximus IV extreme-z mobo, which is eATX format, and not supported by the case.

So I'm pretty much stuck here, wondering if the Maximus IV extreme-z is really necessary, or if the P8Z68 deluxe more than enough (intense OC'ing in mind). If the
Maximus IV extreme-z is really better, then I need a full-tower eATX case with very good air cooling =p

Getting a blu-ray player/burner as well, and reusing my two dvd players/burners from my old computer.

Oh, and is a sound card really necessary? I have a 5.1 surround sound system, and usually plug in my headphones when gaming, so will the mobo support that, or do I need
to buy an extra card?Is there anything missing? wrong? Am I dumping too much money in
useless upgrades? Is this the best "bang for my buck"? I'll take any comments and help you can give me :)

Thanks again!

Since its exclusively for gaming I'd get the i5 2500k.
The 2700k has no real benefit for gamers over the 2500k.

That PSU is way more than you need.
Even with 2x GTX 580s and heavy overclocking you'll be fine with a 950w-1000w.

Not sure how necessary 2000MHz RAM is, you should be fine with 1600 and a lower CAS.
Also, couldn't find that exact RAM, but a similar set was 1.65v, try for some 1.5v if its not.

You can OC well all the way down to the basic P8P67, so not sure what other features you're looking for.
I'd say the Maximus IV extreme-z is unnecessary, but thats just me, since you can get similar features off cheaper boards.

Most motherboards support 8 channel audio, so a sound card shouldn't be necessary.

Personally I'd say you're dumping too much money in, but if you have the money and don't mind spending it there is nothing wrong with that.

He's looking at getting the 2700k. It's base clock is 3.5ghz, with higher multipliers, other then that they haven't changed anything, no new core architecture. A smarter move will be to go with the 2500k. The extreme z is overkill, and that's saying a lot from me as I tend to spend a lot of money on things that are unnecessary but flashy. Its designed for people who want the extreme with 2-3 video cards. The deluxe will be able to overclock your cpu just as much as the maximus. Stick with 1600MHz Ram with better timings and overclock as needed to match your cpu, you will save a lot of money without spending extra funds on the premiums that are simply a marketing gimmick. You should also look at a corsair 750W psu or a 850w if you want more headroom for future expansions. If you go with these suggestions you will have almost no performance downgrades but save an easy 300$.

Research the p67 chipset a little bit more too. Although z68 is newer, it has many features that gamers will never use, like onboard video. Refining your Motherboard too something tailored specific for gaming will make your build a little cheaper and easier to maintain.

I don't see an operating system listed. Since you have 8Gb listed, you will need a 64-bit OS. You will need a new license for this new computer unless transferring a full "Retail" license - OEM licenses are not transferable to new computers under any circumstances.

Also, though it may not be a concern for you, it is important to understand that using an aftermarket cooler (and overclocking) violates the terms of your Intel (or AMD) CPU warranty. Again, if you are not concerned about that, then no problem. But it is important to know all the facts to make an informed decision.

As for CPUs - If I had the money, I would take the i7 Sandy Bridge over the i5 Sandy Bridge any day - though I might stick with the 2600K to save a few bucks if buying today. That said, I will concede the i5-2500K is truly bargain priced.

I don't see an operating system listed. Since you have 8Gb listed, you will need a 64-bit OS. You will need a new license for this new computer unless transferring a full "Retail" license - OEM licenses are not transferable to new computers under any circumstances.
Yes.

Also, though it may not be a concern for you, it is important to understand that using an aftermarket cooler (and overclocking) violates the terms of your Intel (or AMD) CPU warranty. Again, if you are not concerned about that, then no problem. But it is important to know all the facts to make an informed decision.
Uhhh... I read the Intel warranty link and it didn't say anything about aftermarket coolers.
Also, how is Intel going to prove you used one if you, lets say, smear the thermal paste on the stock cooler before sending it back.
And, AFAIK, overclock settings/stats aren't stored on the chip, so how would they know if you OC'd it?

As for CPUs - If I had the money, I would take the i7 Sandy Bridge over the i5 Sandy Bridge any day - though I might stick with the 2600K to save a few bucks if buying today. That said, I will concede the i5-2500K is truly bargain priced.
What benefits does the 2600k/2700k have over the 2500k in regards to a computer "designed exclusively for gaming"?
Hyper-Threading and +2MB L3 cache aren't a major bonus (exclusively for gaming) from reviews I've read.

Only a few Modern games even utilize 3 cores, let alone 4 hyper threaded cores, with that in mind, there is no reason for the Op to spend extra money where it isnt needed or more importanlty where its not going to be any use and use the money saved towards hardware that will server better put into different components... the 2500K is THE BEST processor on the current market for rig built exclusively for gaming.

you WILL NOT notice any performance increase with 2000 ram over 1600 ram

the Noctua cooler is a really good cooler, you should be able to reach 4.8ghz+ pretty easily.

you dont need a 1200W powersupply for this computer, 800W is plenty, but stick with Corsair.

a sound card is not needed, that is a waste of money... onboard sound cards have made leaps and bounds and are more than good enough...

Roack said:
Uhhh... I read the Intel warranty link and it didn't say anything about aftermarket coolers.
Also, how is Intel going to prove you used one if you, lets say, smear the thermal paste on the stock cooler before sending it back.
And, AFAIK, overclock settings/stats aren't stored on the chip, so how would they know if you OC'd it?

Yeah, Intel and their legal department did a lousy job of making it clear. They need to follow AMD's lead who make it perfectly clear,
AMD Warranty said:
This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

But Intel does say (my bold added),
Intel Warranty said:
Intel warrants the Product (defined as the boxed Intel® processor and the accompanying thermal solution)... ... if the Product is properly used and installed, for a period of three (3) years. This Limited Warranty does NOT cover:
• damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing; OR
• any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel's publicly available specifications
The product instructions say to use the accompanying thermal solution, and the publicly available specifications state the operating voltages.

Again, I am not against overclocking. And I personally like quieter CPU fans than the OEM versions. It is just important to know that both AMD and Intel can void the warranty if they want. And it has happened with returns done through my shop (they seem more liberal with individuals).

Roark said:
how is Intel going to prove you used one if you, lets say, smear the thermal paste on the stock cooler before sending it back.
how would they know if you OC'd it?
Good questions. Especially since you have every right to pull the OEM HSF if you need to, and in that case, would need to re-apply a new layer of TIM (thermal interface material).

Here's the "legal" deal. If you deceive another party by "omitting" pertinent information with the intent of receiving a product or service without proper compensation, that is deception for personal gains - or simply, fraud - a criminal offense. If you do this over the phone or Internet and Intel or AMD is in a different state than you, then you also can be brought up federal charges of wire fraud. When you ship the product, then mail fraud comes in to play. It can get real serious, real quick. These can be serious felonies since a CPU can easily cost several $100s.

Therefore, it is MUCH MUCH better to be upfront with Intel and AMD and tell them the whole truth and most likely, they will replace it anyway - especially if your name is not in their database for having a bunch of returned CPUs.

I want to thank you all for your very helpful replies! :)

First off: Yes, I didn't list the OS, but obviously it will be w7 64bit =p

Next, the thing is the price difference between the 2600k and the 2700k is ridiculously low where I'm at, and I'd rather stick with the I7.. why? well.. obviously there's no real reason, or need, just the fact that I might as well go with the most recent cpu.. I'm also hoping for a better "percentage" of cpu's that are able to OC over 4.6-4.7Ghz (the percentage of 2500k's able to go to 4.9Ghz+ was extremely low if I remember correctly).

I do understand that using an aftermarket cooler is usually synonymous with voiding the warranty, but when considering overclocking, it's not a choice, but a necessity.. You can't cool 4.8Ghz with the stock intel cooler =p

For the memory, here is the link:
http://www.templeinformatique.fr/epages/62032321.sf/fr_FR/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62032321/Products/CMT8GX3M2A2000C9

Y
ou can easily understand why I fell in love with those sticks =p

My last question is regarding the MSI twin frozr oc version of the gtx580.. Is there any "better" version of the gtx580 in the same price range? I was drawn towards it for the REAL cooling improvement, not being just a marketing gimmick, and the stock card OC.. But I'd definitely consider any better versions. I've always been a fan of EVGA, but decided it was time for a change.

Thanks a lot for all your replies and help, and I hope you'll understand my questions and concerns :)

My concern with that memory would be the RAM cooler having clearance with the Noctua NH-D14.
I know that ASUS boards typically use memory slots 2/4 so the heat spreaders themselves shouldn't be an issue, just not sure how/where that fan mounts.

I believe for stock cooling options the MSI Twin Frozr II or III and Gigabyte 3-Fan cooler are pretty close.
Pretty sure the ASUS DC II is cooler than both of them, but takes up 3 slots and is darn heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom