Sony VAIO DOA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgiaCPST

Beta member
I am trying to help a friend with his laptop. It is a Sony VAIO VPCEE23FX. Apparently this laptop has a bad hard drive and I'm trying to figure out if it's toast or if it's something that can be fixed. I chatted with the Sony help person for a while and he advised me that since it was out of warranty that he really couldn't help me too much.

Upon turning on the power I can get the Sony logo to appear then it immediately goes to S.M.A.R.T. has detected a hard disk error. Back up your files. Press ESC to continue...

Once you press ESC it tries to boot and gives this message "Operating System Not Found". Although if you press F10 over and over you can get into a series of Windows screens that will allow you to go to the System Recovery thingy, but it never gets past 6%.

Of course we don't have any of the original disks, although I did make a boot DVD, but the machine won't read it, even after changing the boot sequence to reflect that.

Help?

If SMART says something is wrong, 99.9% of the time, it is true. Most likely there is something corrupt on your hard drive. I fear the only thing you can do is get a new HDD and reinstall Windows. But as you don't have the install discs, there is little you can do.

I am trying to help a friend with his laptop. It is a Sony VAIO VPCEE23FX. Apparently this laptop has a bad hard drive and I'm trying to figure out if it's toast or if it's something that can be fixed. I chatted with the Sony help person for a while and he advised me that since it was out of warranty that he really couldn't help me too much.

Upon turning on the power I can get the Sony logo to appear then it immediately goes to S.M.A.R.T. has detected a hard disk error. Back up your files. Press ESC to continue...

Once you press ESC it tries to boot and gives this message "Operating System Not Found". Although if you press F10 over and over you can get into a series of Windows screens that will allow you to go to the System Recovery thingy, but it never gets past 6%.

Of course we don't have any of the original disks, although I did make a boot DVD, but the machine won't read it, even after changing the boot sequence to reflect that.

Help?

Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD1600BEVT 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
This should be a good hdd to use for her laptop, also what os does have by chance ?
If her laptop can boot from removal media it will be better if you used a formatted usb drive, copy the contents onto it and do it that way.

If she has vista/win7 microsoft has a utility to perform what you need done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom