VGA to HDMI inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellowcloud

Beta member
hey guys i have a problem connecting my laptop to my tv. my tv does not have vga only my laptop and the tv has hdmi but not my laptop. so i was thinking about getting a vga female to hdmi male cable to see if it will work. well it didnt work the tv didnt come up nor did my computer even pick up the cable connecting. i looked at my computer specs but not sure if i understand correctly. here's my laptop: Black Dell Inspiron 15.6" Laptop PC - Walmart.comnyone help me out? thanks :dead:

Better paragraph structure would be nice...

Anyways, you can't just go from VGA to HDMI, HDMI is a digital signal, VGA is analog, you need an active converter to convert the VGA signal to HDMI signal, but you will not get sound via the HDMI cable unless the converter has a place to plug the laptop speaker output to the converter.

I'm surprised they even make VGA to HDMI, how you guna tell your TV to play audio through AUX jack when its most probably going be looking for audio signal coming from the HDMI connection, this problem could be worked around by using an alternative sound system like a surround sound system.

as for the picture Pantob is right look for the toggle Key on your laptop usually one of the F keys, the toggle screen key needs to be hit a few times whilst holding the FN key down,
if no joy then I'm afraid C0rr0sive's Active converter is your only hope.

Good luck.

I'm surprised they even make VGA to HDMI
It is actually pretty common as HDMI connections on some graphics cards and some monitors support analog too so they don't have to waste space with multiple connections. Same with some DVI connectors. This is also because many folks still prefer CRT monitors (or have older analog-only LCD monitors), yet more and more graphics cards only have DVI or HDMI connectors.

So those cables don't convert digital to analog, they just also carry analog (if available at the source) and they "adapt" to a different physical layouts of the different connectors.

in my case its F1 but the computer doesnt pick up the cable even connecting.. so is there a setting i can tweak?

Better paragraph structure would be nice...

Anyways, you can't just go from VGA to HDMI, HDMI is a digital signal, VGA is analog, you need an active converter to convert the VGA signal to HDMI signal, but you will not get sound via the HDMI cable unless the converter has a place to plug the laptop speaker output to the converter.

well sorry for not having a "perfect" paragraph. and i already know i cant get sound i already have speakers for the laptop i just need to get video feed in which im still figuring out.

You may have to boot with everything connected. But you could also try fn f5 or something. The correct f button has a monitor picture on it.

hmm i'll try the booting method thanks patonb

this is the cable i got Amazon.com: 6ft 1.8M Gold HDTV HDMI to VGA HD15 Adapter Cable: Electronics
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I4ZY32/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_detailswhat i was doing was trying it out and it didnt work but i know it can work with a few tweaking but just that i cant get my finger on it. and does my laptop meet the requirements for this? all i want to do is play movies off my laptop on to a bigger screen for group watching.

re-read what I said, you need an active converter, unless your monitor supports analog signal via HDMI, and I can almost guarantee you, it wont.

very helpful C0rr0sive thank you, ive been having the same problem. Not what i wanted to hear though, just having a look on Amazon for one of them converters, they're about £30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom