new build not making it to post, HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

percussionman11

Baseband Member
My new build is having some issues thought I'd come to you guys as it seems this forums has never let me down :-D

PARTS (N# is from newegg):

N82E16835100007 CPU THERMPASTE|AS5-3.5G %
N82E16813130608 MB MSI|970A-G45 AM3+ 970 R
N82E16822136795 HD 500G|WD WD5002AALX % 1 (X2)
N82E16814150550 VGA XFX|HD-695X-CNDC HD6950 2G R
N82E16820233144 MEM 4Gx2|CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
N82E16835103064 CPU COOLER CM| RR-910-HTX3-G1 R
N82E16817139021 PSU CORSAIR|750W CMPSU-750TXV2 R
N82E16811147053 CASE ROSEWILL| THOR V2 RTL
N82E16819103961 CPU AMD|8-CORE FX-8120 3.1G 16M R

I have already troubleshooted the living snot out of this but I must be missing something. I am trying to boot my computer and am getting nothing, no beep/bios recognition etc. Wanted to know what kinds of things could generate this issue so I can see if there is anything I have missed. I am happy to retest things if needed but have done the following already:

- double check memory slots are correct (2/4) but also attempted to use 1/3 as well as only one DIMM to make sure one wasn't bad.
- change video card slots (from top to bottom) to see if the slot was causing a problem
- make sure all the fans are running to see if power was getting to the video card and cpu
- I have a power supply tester and used it to make sure the power supply was working properly. I have tested all of the cables
- double check that the cables are all in properly and correctly (as far as I can tell I'm not missing anything obvious...)

EDIT 10/26/2011:
- so I unhooked all of the drives, nothing. (I did hear them spin up when plugged in)
- the 8 pin 12V plug is in and I did verify it is in all the way
- the power button works since when it is pushed on the entire system starts working (fans go on, lights go on, etc.)
- I pulled the mobo to verify the stands are only the ones needed (I also double checked with the mobo manual and case manual) I also replaced the stands/screws with the ones provided by the mobo instead of using ones I had in my own screw collection
- I also used my other video card to verify that it wasn't the video card
- I double checked the memory again by using one DIMM at a time and moving it to each of the 4 slots and repeated with the second DIMM including testing the mobo manual recommended 2/4 slots (I did 1/3 as well for the heck of it)
- I also reset the jumper for the CMOS, didn't get to pull the battery since every time I remembered to do that it is behind the video card and would say "next time the card is out" (I'll do that tonight)
- I pulled the processor out and double checked there was no damage to the pins (to my ability) I also double checked the heat sink and thermal paste. The only thing I did notice was that I might have had a bit too much thermal paste or it was not evenly spread well enough as there as a little bit (small amount) had gone over the edge and was sitting on the 1mm over the edge. It did not go onto the pins or bottom side in any way. I smoothed out the paste and reassembled the fan.
- I also used my power supply checker to test the rest of the power supply cables

I have never run into this where I couldn't get to post so I am a little lost where to go from here. I have no spare memory or processors that are compatible with this board to test that they are not defective. What can cause a computer not to make it to post (I keep asking myself this and am running out of ideas)? Any thoughts or suggestions on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I am a gitty little schoolboy who just got his prized gift from under the x-mas tree and then realized it didn't come with batteries and nobody has any lying around. Sitting here waiting for this to work is killing me, lol.

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

The board might be shorting out, did you use the stand-off's and are they all located in the proper location?

I used the posts in every possible location according the ATX setup with the case.

If pictures of anything are needed let me know and I would be happy to provide later tonight.

Not every ATX board uses all the pinouts. Look at the board's holes, and look at the case spacing.

I have a ASUS P7P55D-E LX that doesn't use the last (to front of case) bottom stand-off. Although it is ATX.

mine too only uses 6 screws and doesn't have the last row. I will confirm when I get home but do not believe this to be an issue. Thanks for the ideas keep them coming as I appreciate the thoughtful responses.

I have that problem. On one of my cases, I have to use my reset button as the power button. You could also take a flathead screwdriver and touch the two pins that the power switch fits on, put the tip on it, that will short it. Turning it on.

Did you plug the CPU 8-pin power connector to the mobo? Make sure it's plugged all the way in.

8pin.jpg

If it still doesn't work I would start unhooking the drives one at a time to see if one of them is shorting the system.

- so I unhooked all of the drives, nothing. (I did hear them spin up when plugged in)
- the 8 pin 12V plug is in and I did verify it is in all the way
- the power button works since when it is pushed on the entire system starts working (fans go on, lights go on, etc.)
- I pulled the mobo to verify the stands are only the ones needed (I also double checked with the mobo manual and case manual) I also replaced the stands/screws with the ones provided by the mobo instead of using ones I had in my own screw collection
- I also used my other video card to verify that it wasn't the video card
- I double checked the memory again by using one DIMM at a time and moving it to each of the 4 slots and repeated with the second DIMM including testing the mobo manual recommended 2/4 slots (I did 1/3 as well for the heck of it)
- I also reset the jumper for the CMOS, didn't get to pull the battery since every time I remembered to do that it is behind the video card and would say "next time the card is out" (I'll do that tonight)
- I pulled the processor out and double checked there was no damage to the pins (to my ability) I also double checked the heat sink and thermal paste. The only thing I did notice was that I might have had a bit too much thermal paste or it was not evenly spread well enough as there as a little bit (small amount) had gone over the edge and was sitting on the 1mm over the edge. It did not go onto the pins or bottom side in any way. I smoothed out the paste and reassembled the fan.
- I also used my power supply checker to test the rest of the power supply cables

All of the above resulted in the same results nothing. Any more ideas or suggestions as to what could be defected? If so, anybody dealt with AMD for replacing a bad processor before? Just curious how easy it will be to prove I didn't mess it up (which I really don't think I did as this is not my first time around the block building a computer)

Thanks again

contacted MSI and learned the BIOS is in need of flashing. I don't have a spare processor that is AM3+ so I have to ship it to MSI directly.

I also purchased a POST card and had it shipped over night to me. I will try it before sending the mobo back to the manufacturer. If there are any new updates I will make sure to post to help anybody else who has this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom