Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whodey

Beta member
A happy "Who Dey" too all of you!

I am excited to have found this forum. After moving to the Sunshine State and doing a great deal of soul searching, I have decided to make a career change. I've studied literature, history, philosophy, and theology in the past. I recently earned an MA in English and I absolutely love to learn new things. I've decided not to pursue my PhD in literature and to leave teaching so I can instead pursue a career in IT!

Network Engineering and Administration appeal most to me at this time and I realize I have a tremendous amount of learning to do to get myself up to speed. Fortunately for me, my favorite things to do are help others and learn new things. I've mentored countless people through personal and professional transitions, and now more than ever need people to mentor me. Close friends I trust have assured me that the IT world is filled with smart and generous people like me, and I will find many peers willing to assist me.

I'm betting that the information I seek about where to look for opportunities to gain experience, which certifications I should pursue first, which tests I might be able to pass after reading a book or two on my own, which certifications are the most valuable to an industry neophyte, and which college coursework I will find most helpful in driving this process forward is already scattered around this forum. However, as I search for it, I welcome anyone so inclined to show me the shortcuts or hit me with an email or pm chock full of insights.

Thanks for making me feel welcome and for any advice you care to offer!

-whodey

Wow! A little time spent in the forum for new peeps proved to be such a good investment! My earlier research suggested pursuing A+ cert. and then CCNA. I found some strong support for that, along with a suggestion that reading and studying just one book closely might adequately prepare me for the A+ examinations. This could save me not only months in a classroom, but many dollars! How sweet it is. I'm fortunate to be near a community college that is a "Cisco partner," and hope to begin working on the CCNA coursework there in the spring. Love this forum and look forward to the day when I can pay back the help I have already found here!

Thanks for your helpful etiquette tip, Slaymate!

Welcome to Tech-Forums :D

Please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom