Mouse issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
I posted in the Internet Software and Browsers section awhile ago about an issue I was having.

I've been getting a lot of double clicks in Chrome.
Opening new tabs or closing tabs would sometimes result in a double click.
Highlighting text for copy/paste would sometimes deselect it after highlighting.

I recently noticed I'm getting this in things like Solitaire too.
Clicking to flip the card would result in a double flip.

I thought it might just be a dirty mouse issue, so I opened it up and cleaned it.
Still getting double clicks though.

So, is this an indicator that I should be looking for a new mouse, or might there be another issue?

So it's not software dependent. I say the sensor on it is a bit jumpy. What mouse is it? I had a Logitech G4 go bad on me, the right button would no longer "click". Like a spring wasn't there.

If it's one of those cheap mice, get a new one. If not, look to RMA it.

I didn't even know it had drivers, just sorta plug-n-play'd it since I bought it.

Time to go a-hunting for drivers.

No mouse needs special drivers for basic mouse operations. If none are installed, Windows will just use it's native generic drivers - just as it does every time you boot to the install disk or in Safe Mode (which you might want to try too). And drivers don't just go bad, unless there is a corrupt file and corrupt files are not intermittent - so updating them will just add special features, but not fix any basic ones.

I suspect MoM is on the right track. Mouse buttons have a tension arm or spring return to push the button back up. Like all mechanical springy things, tension over time and constant use weakens or wears out. I would try another mouse and see if it does the same thing.

Downloaded and installed IntelliPoint 8.2, only thing Microsoft had for it.
Still getting double clicks though.

Guess its time to go mouse shopping.

Don't let anyone tell you what mouse to get. Mice and keyboards are extensions of YOUR hands and have to feel good to you. So you need to visit your local electronics store and play touchy-feely for yourself.

You don't have to spend $50 for a quality mouse - especially if not a serious gamer or do CAE/CAD design. But if you think $50 is expensive, you can spend a lot more, like $165 for this one - and it's not even wireless!

In reality, probably everyone should have a cheap wired mouse (and keyboard) for testing purposes. I say wired because they don't depend on special wireless drivers to work. In fact, keeping a cheap PS/2 mouse is handy too - in case you have USB problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom