Upgrading from my 9800gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar12

Solid State Member
My card runs really hot even when idle.
I need a new case (I have a stupid Vostro "mini-tower") and I've narrowed it down to these two: Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
or: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Which would be the better buy? Any other ones I should look at?

Also the title question, I want to upgrade my 9800.
I'm looking for a card that has the same or better performance, but runs cooler. Running cooler is a must! Also preferably another Geforce card.

Here are my specs:
Geforce 9800gt
Intel E8400 core 2 duo processor 3 ghz
3.5 gb ram
Corsair 650w

I can't upgrade my psu as of now, I've done that just 3 months ago. I was told it would be sufficient for when I wanted to upgrade again.

I've asked this over at: techsupportforum.com
For some reason they seem to be ignoring my questions. (Am I asking something stupid?) So I'm asking here, hopefully you guys can help me out.
I need to know what I'm ordering by Tuesday night, my birthday is later this week.
Thanks!

Just to clarify, the gtx260 runs cooler? and it will be fine with my 650w psu?
I'd prefer a card thats slightly more powerful than the 9800gt.

Also I have a $250 spending limit, so if you can think of something more expensive that will work with my psu, please post it.

I'm going to assume the $250 spending limit includes a new case. Any card bigger than a gtx260 is going to ignite your vostro mini tower. The first antec case you listed is great and it still leaves room for upgrades down the road. That leaves you with $150. With your $150 you can get a gtx550 Ti:

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Please note the card itself isn't what is always causing heat issues. Without good airflow in a case even a small card will turn into an oven at idle. You complain about the card idling at high temperatures when it didn't before so I hope you cleaned out the case to see if that helped at all.

The gtx260 is slightly, and I mean SLIGHTLY better than the 9800gt. For $50 more you can get that 550 Ti I linked that takes the 9800gt to a park and breaks it in half. All the cards I listed will run fine on a 650W PSU.

the 250$ limit is for the card alone.
My dad will be buying the card.

i'm buying the case with my money.

Any changes to your recommendations?
if not I'll go with the card you linked.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

Its fine to ask lots of questions. Knowledge doesn't just hit you in the face, which is unfortunate since so many people seem to think that... Anyway, yes 650W is enough for a 560 Ti, I don't know what they're thinking. A 560 Ti could run on a 500W PSU if you really wanted it to. Wanting too large of a PSU is a common issue. I wanted a 1050W PSU for 580 SLI and found out later I could run them easily on an 850W. Guru3D is a good place for power consumption reviews since they take the whole system into account and measure from the wall socket. Guru3D also tests it on games and not using artificial programs such as FurMark.

For safe measure though, you can always post the brand of your PSU. Certain brands act up more than others. Here is the link to the 560 Ti power consumption from Guru3D if you want to look at it yourself:

GeForce GTX 560 Ti SLI review

I know it says SLI review but they have single 560 Ti specs posted as well.

That is a good PSU. You'll be fine, 650W is plenty. I guess those guys at tech support forums think the 560 in 560 Ti stands for watts. What a shame. Also I find it hilarious they ignored your desire for a GeForce and started trying to shove a radeon down your throat.

A word of caution too, install everything in your new case. Even if that 560 Ti fits in your mini tower do NOT install it in there. You could cause serious thermal damage to not only the card, but everything in the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom