worth upgrading or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahh well i dint know that is cool i can always use a diff copy. Im going wait till i get my new goodies next week make sure everything is running good b4 reinstall thanks for the info

You know, Digerati, there are MILLIONS of people in the US alone that pirate Windows. I don't, and I'm not encouraging pirating (so don't remove the post!) :p But is it really any of your business to sit here and question someone over the internet that you don't even know about the legitimacy of their copy of Windows 7?

You know, Digerati, there are MILLIONS of people in the US alone that pirate Windows. I don't, and I'm not encouraging pirating (so don't remove the post!) But is it really any of your business to sit here and question someone over the internet that you don't even know about the legitimacy of their copy of Windows 7?
I didn't question anyone - though I note you questioned me, so I will answer! As I said in my first post, I merely stated the facts about OEM licenses because, it is a fact, most people don't read their EULAs! And so I provide the information so readers can make their own informed decisions. And I do that because ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law. And the penalties can be severe, including jail time and stiff fines. And in this case, the poster indicated what he was doing.

But for the record, you are absolutely right - it is a fact there are millions of software thieves out there. But,

• It is a fact that pirated software is a major source of malware,
  • It is a fact that pirated software and illegal users are primary targets of malware and badguys,
  • It is a fact many of these thieves (who, in fact, KNOW their software is illegal) rarely keep their systems properly updated for fear of being detected,
  • It is a fact that computers that are not properly patched and updated are vulnerable, and routinely infected,
  • It is a fact, compromised machines are routinely turned into spam machines and zombies pulled into badguys' bot armies then used as weapons against the rest of us - including you and me, and to launch DDoS attacks against sites like Tech Forums.

And since my "job" here is to make sure you, other posters, and me stay secure, then yes, it sure is my business to make sure our readers stay informed and legal - because as a provider here, saying nothing is the same as condoning. And I don't condone stealing.

So I am not going to apologize for ensuring readers know all the facts.

I am not suggesting Drogos is an intentional thief, but it is important to know the illegal use of software falls under the same heading as larceny. Same as copyright violations and theft of "intellectual property".

You know, Digerati, there are MILLIONS of people in the US alone that pirate Windows. I don't, and I'm not encouraging pirating (so don't remove the post!) :p But is it really any of your business to sit here and question someone over the internet that you don't even know about the legitimacy of their copy of Windows 7?
Actually Digerati is completely correct with his comment. I thank him for posting that information. Cause if he didnt, I would have. The OEM EULA is strict and by breaking it that is considered piracy which we do not condone nor support on this website. It doesn't matter what millions of people do. It matters what the rules of this site are that people are posting on. Drogos would not get support here for his OS issues nor would he get support from Microsoft. That is very important thing to note since it could be an issue.

i thank you all for the info but i did state i own both oem and retail **** even vista and xp i did not steal anything and im not planing to do anything illegal i mention it to my buddy and he told is no biggy **** use his own copy of windows i can always use my retail on my own if anything i can always buy another is only 100 for new oem copy is cheap enough. **** i basically paid 200 bucks for a $1200 pc by buying them parts from a friend.

but i did state i own both oem and retail
Yes you did and as long as you only install on one machine per copy, and the OEM license sticks with the machine it came with or was purchased for, that is good enough for me. Thanks.

yup and i see the chat thought i was cursing i promise i wanst lol. i was saying the English version of Hades. thank you all for the help as always i appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom