worth upgrading or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drogos

Daemon Poster
Here is the thing my build was.
Amd phenom II x4 955 black edition deneb 3.2Ghz
Newegg.com - Foxconn A88GM Deluxe AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK
HD5770 1GB GDDR5
Corsair 650watt psu
and 1TB hdd
I bought these 2 items from a friend
Newegg.com - ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960
with 4gb of ram and some other stuff like a 2 cases a rosewill 550 psu and a video card not that great but it was a good deal
after some trouble shooting its working fine. I have it setup in a case with the HD5770 video card,ram 6gb in triple,hdd and the psu.
my idea was if i got it working i would sell my old build to a friend for like $450 to $500 and use that to get better video card,psu and maybe better ram is it worth doing that or what u recommend i get i dont want have to upgrade my for at least a year.

thanks in advance

A better video card is always a good upgrade but I would get a better power supply, Rosewill isn't a very good brand. You should also look at a aftermarket heatsink for your i7 960 as a little overclocking action would give you a good boost.

ill keep the corsair 650 if is enough for a while. i been told that intel boards work better with nvidia and amd with ati is this true?
as for overclocking im not going to do that anytime soon i just got this baby working and im afraid ill mess something up wen i change the heatsink lol.
im using a xclio case and has plenty of air flow. im not looking to drop $400 on a video card is it really necessary? im just going to game mainly no Photoshopping or 3d designing or anything like that.
im thinking about $250 maybe $300 if its worth it. for what i see on new egg is between a GTX 560 and a HD6950 here is one that caught my eye.

Newegg.com - EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P3-1469-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I missed the Corsair 650, your good there :thumbsup:

Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards work good with either type of system.

The GTX 560 is a good card, you'll like it.

sweet then im garbing that card and 8 more gb of ram since the ram im using is on sale ill be at 12gb ill be golden for a good while lol. thanks for the help

It should be noted too that using an aftermarket cooler on either an Intel or AMD processor that comes with a supplied heatsink fan assembly violates the terms of warranty (so does overclocking, BTW). While that may not be a concern for many enthusiasts, it is something everyone should be aware of. Note, this is in the printed warranty information that comes with the CPU, or is available on line too. Intel states the CPU and HSF must be used as a "unit" and AMD is crystal clear, "This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."

Also, I don't see an OS mentioned. With more than 4Gb of RAM, you will need a 64-bit OS. Also note if you are planning on using a Windows license from a previous build, it MUST be a full "Retail" license. OEM/System Builders licenses are NOT, under any circumstances, legally transferable to a new computer. Thus a new license would need to be purchased, or alternatively, you can go with one of the many capable and free Linux alternatives.

Finally, please note I am just the messenger. I am not posting my opinion, just informing you of the facts.

It should also be noted that most companies actually support overclocking, including Intel and AMD. That's why they sell and market unlocked and overclockable cpu's. And I have never been denied a RMA even when the Manufacturer knew I was overclocking.

It should also be noted that most companies actually support overclocking, including Intel and AMD.
Not really. That is marketing fluff. If you look in those warranty links, they say to use specified voltages. And while a CPU may endure overclocking, if something goes wrong and damage occurs, they do not have to replace it.

As for RMAs, I agree - in most cases they will honor it. But, it is up to the user to be truthful and forthcoming with any pertinent information, such as overclocking and using an aftermarket cooler. Because withholding that information while seeking free replacements is technically considered "deception with intent to defraud" - or simply "fraud", a criminal offense.

Again, I am just the messenger.

thank you for the info but i don't have to worry about all the warranty stuff since i bought the cpu from a friend used. as for the windows i do own both retail and oem. i dint reinstall i just plugged my hdd with my win7 64 copy already in it updated the drivers for mobo and chipset and is running golden.

i dint reinstall i just plugged my hdd with my win7 64 copy already in it updated the drivers for mobo and chipset and is running golden.
Well, if the license used to install Windows on that disk is the OEM license that came with, or was purchased for, a different computer, then that violates the terms of the OEM license. OEM licenses are tied to the "original equipment".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom