AMD OC and Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex81388

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, right now I have a few AMD XP 2600+'s and I wanted to know how high I could safely overclock them with a good heatsink. I don't know what kind of heatsink but I'm hoping you have some good input.

I really don't want anything too expensive, and i REALLY do NOT want a heatsink with a fan controller attached to a bay. It is just a pain.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

with barton core? there is virtually no top limit. on any card. but id say to not go over 2.4 ghz.. with damn fine cooling. this is just my opinion and im sure others will give different figures, im just trying to give you a ballpark figure.

I have no idea if it is barton or not, I do not see indication if it is on the Control Panel>System location, it simply states AMD XP 2600+ 1.92ghz.

EDIT::: According to Sandra, I have 512 L2 cache, so i think that is indication of barton core.

The Cache isn't what gives away whether it's a barton core or not...it simply depends on the manufacturers whim really and it just so happens they decided to make the 2500+ XP and 2600+ XP from the same core as the 3200+ XP, besides that the program CPU-Z will tell you what core it is.

It really depends on how good your cooling is man. How low your temps are things such as that. Also you gotta consider things like how well your RAM will take it and also if you don't have an AGP:pCI Bus lock then you won't be able to up the CPU FSB otherwise once you go too far you'll fry your AGP and PCI Components so be weary of that. Other than that, whatever speed you can get it stable at while remaining in 40's Celsius in temperature with a full load temp of low 50's I'd say you're in the clear....

the 35w mobiles have insane Overclockability though, more so than the 2600+ XP, I have the 35w 2400+ XP-M unlike the 2400+ XP this has 512mb L2 Cache, and runs at half the wattage...I got mine overclocked to 2.7GHz prime95 stable for 12+ hours, but I've since backed it down to 2.5GHz just for cooler temps and a lower Vcore...

All in all you should ATLEAST be able to hit 3200+ XP speeds with good cooling, but like I said without an AGP:pCI bus lock you can't up the FSB without frying components...only way to OC would be to raise the Multiplier.

Nubius said:
The Cache isn't what gives away whether it's a barton core or not...it simply depends on the manufacturers whim really and it just so happens they decided to make the 2500+ XP and 2600+ XP from the same core as the 3200+ XP, besides that the program CPU-Z will tell you what core it is.

It really depends on how good your cooling is man. How low your temps are things such as that. Also you gotta consider things like how well your RAM will take it and also if you don't have an AGP:pCI Bus lock then you won't be able to up the CPU FSB otherwise once you go too far you'll fry your AGP and PCI Components so be weary of that. Other than that, whatever speed you can get it stable at while remaining in 40's Celsius in temperature with a full load temp of low 50's I'd say you're in the clear....

the 35w mobiles have insane Overclockability though, more so than the 2600+ XP, I have the 35w 2400+ XP-M unlike the 2400+ XP this has 512mb L2 Cache, and runs at half the wattage...I got mine overclocked to 2.7GHz prime95 stable for 12+ hours, but I've since backed it down to 2.5GHz just for cooler temps and a lower Vcore...

All in all you should ATLEAST be able to hit 3200+ XP speeds with good cooling, but like I said without an AGP:pCI bus lock you can't up the FSB without frying components...only way to OC would be to raise the Multiplier.

Actually, the 2400 XP Barton DOES have a 512mb L2 cache. And it's very comparable to the XP-M 2400...

But didn't AMD stop selling the 2400 XP Barton?

i tried to find a link to a 2400+ barton core but i couldnt find one. the main point however being that an XP-m 2400 plus has massive overclocking potential as compared to a 2400+

Actually, the 2400 XP Barton DOES have a 512mb L2 cache. And it's very comparable to the XP-M 2400...

But didn't AMD stop selling the 2400 XP Barton?
I've got both the 35w 2400+ XP-M and the 2400+ XP, my 2400+ XP is a T-bred not barton so therefore the info I gave him WAS correct. I haven't come across a barton based 2400+ XP so if you have a link to show us that'd be nice, because I can't find anything about a barton core 2400+ XP in google at the moment. I did find a somewhat interesting article regarding the release of the barton core and how it was reveared because it did have 512mb cache and that's what people were waiting for at the time. During this time the article clearly states that the 2400+ wasn't barton at the time they had reviewed it, so like I said, get us a link, because I haven't ever even heard of the 2400+ XP Barton core, but I also hadn't heard that they had T-bred 2600's either and those exist, although shittier

Correction, according to SANDRA It is a AMD XP 2600+ Barton Core with 512K Cache

Now, I just looked in the bios the other day as I was poundering what to do, and notice that my CPU temp is up in the 50-52 range right after boot up. I don't think this is a good thing, but I may be too worried. Since I plan on getting a better heatsink for it I figured for now it is ok.

Also, in my bios the only thing I have found access too is the frequency (133). I cannot find the multiplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom