Which RAM do I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadoruu

Beta member
My desktop is an ASUS CG5275-AR003. The specs can be found here: Newegg.com - Recertified: ASUS Essentio CG5275-AR003 Desktop PC Intel Core i5 650(3.20GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity Intel HD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

If I understand correctly, I should be able to max my RAM out to 16gb of DDR3. Currently, it has 8gb. If this is true, then I believe I need 4 sticks, at 4gb per stick, totaling 16gb of max RAM that my desktop can handle.

Assuming I'm still on the right track, which RAM do I look for? Do I need to look for any particular Timing or Cas Latency, as I see those 2 details are mentioned when shopping on newegg for RAM. Which brands are really good ((that is capatible with my desktop)).

Thanks!

What are you using this computer for? Most people really don't need more than 8GB unless your doing some heavy workstation applications. For gaming 8GB is plenty.

Heh, gold farming? J/j. Not much really, aside from some gaming when I find free time. I saw an opportunity to upgrade, I figured why not?

...and I will. This happens to be one of the areas I'd like to upgrade. I'm not trying to figure out what it'll be used for, if I need it, or even if it's better focused elsewhere. As the question was, I am only looking for what ram is best for my machine. If you must know, I'm looking at monitors too, but I didn't want to derail my own thread with that.

Sorry, I thought it was a simple question. Maybe I just worded it wrong. :wtf:

Thank you! :angel:
I've heard of that brand before, as well as an OCZ too. I'm unsure what makes it "good", but on newegg I do see things like timing and cas latency mentioned.

I believe I need 4 sticks, at 4gb per stick
I'd open up the side of your case and make sure you just have 2 sticks in there so you only need 2 more.
Would stink to buy 8GB and find you have 4x 2GB sticks in there currently.

Do I need to look for any particular Timing or Cas Latency
The fastest RAM will downclock to match the slowest ones installed. Generally though it seems like pre-builts use 1333MHz.
CAS shouldn't be a deciding factor, again generic pre-built it will probably be a standard 9.

Which brands are really good
Rough order I look at:
G.Skill, Corsair, Mushkin, Kingston/Patriot/Crucial/Wintec.
But, as far as I know, there aren't any really horrible RAM companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom