Potential Upgrades: Help please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinscher

Fully Optimized
Hey everybody! I've been mostly out of the loop for about 2 years now and I would like to throw a few upgrades into my rig but want to get some advice from all of you that are still in the loop. I saw some familiar names when I was looking through posts which was nice to see. Hope at least a few of you remember me :)

Anyways here are my current specs:

i7 920 @ ~3.2 daily (will probably put a higher overclock on this with some better ram for BF3)
EVGA x58 SLI mobo
ATI 5970 2GB running at stock still like a beast :)
G.Skill 3GB DDR3 1600 (want to upgrade this)
Thermaltake Toughpower 700w PSU
WD Rapter 10k 150GB HDD (boot) (want to upgrade this)
WD Caviar black 1TB (Storage)
Full Custom water loop for my i7
Thermaltake Armor case

So the things I most want to upgrade are my RAM and HDD. I would like to get a good SSD for my main drive with my games and keep my 1TB for storage. I would like to get at least 6GB of ram, but looking at some stuff it looks like I could easily jump to 12GB if I felt like it. And yes I know, I probably won't use that but I do occasionally do some Maya work that could benefit from this. Either way, I need a RAM upgrade. I was looking at these 2:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-12GBRH.
Or if I was feeling frisky: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-12GBSR lol.
I've always ran G.Skill and have been very impressed with them and unless someone can come up with a very legitimate reason to switch to Corsair or someone else, I would like to stick with them.

SSDs are where I really don't know much of anything. I have looked through some reviews and such but there are so many. I remember I looked into them about a year back and Intel was making the best ones and now from what I can tell OCZ is making the top-performers. Again though, I need the most help on these. I would like it to be at least 120GB to match my current Raptor but a little bigger wouldn't be a bad thing.

Now for the more optional, less needed upgrades. I would like to get a new case, I am quite tired of my behemoth TT Armor. This thing ways about 40 lbs. and it has some scratches and blemishes from moving a few times. I have always been interested in Lian-Li cases. I love the simple clean look most of them have and they look like they are much more suited for a big 3x120mm radiator like mine. Suggestions are welcome in this area though, maybe something new that has popped up that I haven't seen. I want a full tower for sure and I want water cooling accessibility built into it.

Also, If I were to get a new case, I think I would like to replace my PSU with something I trust a little more. This is my second TT Toughpower due to my first one dying on me. I only have this one still because it was a free replacement and I didn't have money at the time to replace it. I would love to have a PC Power & Cooling PSU.

I think that is about it for upgrades. I couldn't be happier with my i7 920 so that doesn't need to be changed and same with my 5970.

Oh and I don't really have a budget in mind, just trying to see how much I would have to spend to get what I want. I've got a rough idea of what it will cost but I trust the people here to give me good second opinions.

Forgot to add: I need some new fans for my radiator. I need 3x120mm. My current ones work really well but they are a bit noisy. Any suggestions?

I was just looking at Mountain Mods cases as well. Would consider one of theirs but I don't know much about them. I remember somebody from here had one a while back but I can't remember who.

what brand is your radiator? Rads are optimized for high rpm fans or low rpm fans. For low rpm fans the favorties are scyth gentle tycoon 1850 rpm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM (D1225C12B5AP-15) Hot Item !! - FrozenCPU.com. If your rad is optimized for higher rpm fans like the swiftech rads are look at the adjustable 700-3000rpm tycoonshttp://www.frozencpu.com/products/12363/fan-809/Scythe_Gentle_Typhoon_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_-_3000_RPM_D1225C12B7AP-29.html?tl=g36c15s60&id=8kz2fF8j&mv_pc=2937. Really the only fans you should be looking at are sycthe or noctua. If you like Noctua fans the NF-S12 is a good choice for low rpm rads with low restriction, the NF-S12B is good for high restriction.

For Ram most people will suggest the G.Skill ripjaws, I bought a pair myself but have yet to review them personally, but I spent a fair amount of time researching my build and these definitely stood out. As for a case, search for the top 10 cases that allow for an internally mounted triple rad and choose the one that appeals to you. A lot of people like the Haf series from coolermaster NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster Haf X EATX Tower Case Black 6X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0 - COOLERMASTER - RC-942-KKN1 - in Canada NCIX.com - Buy Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced Full Tower EATX Case 7X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT USB3.0 eSATA 1394 Black - COOLERMASTER - RC-932-KKN5-GP - in Canada NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower Case EATX 5X5.25 4X3.5 Hotswappable 2X3.5INT No PS USB 1394 - Corsair - CC800DW - in Canada or the silverstone tj11 Buy the SilverStone TJ11-BW Temjin Series Full Tower Case at TigerDirect.ca thats just a taste of the variety that can easily fit a 360mm rad and even a 240mm rad.

For PSU's I will always recommend a Corsair as will many many others. Looking at SSD's, the ocz vertex 3 is a very popular choice. Anything over 120gb will get very expensive. Once you experience the speed of a SSD you will have a hard time going back to a HDD

The specification note that its made for high restriction configurations with a high density FPI which would benefit more from higher rpm fans. I would suggest getting a fan controller and adjusting the speed of some higher RPM fans of your choosing to find the sweet spot. But I dont see you losing more then ~5c switching over to low rpm fans. The noctua NF-S12B fans claim to work well in a high restriction settings and move a decent amount of air. I would suggest looking into that option as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom