3d Monitor Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewCents05

Daemon Poster
Wow its been a while since I posted on here but hopefully the insight on this forum is still as good as it used to be. Been out of the game for a minute but looking to jump back in. I am rebuilding my pc keeping just my case and peripherals. Basically what I am looking for is a slim 3d led high res monitor greater than 22in. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

Nvidia has a list of supported 3D displays (including projectors) here: 3D Glasses and Displays

home run with the first reply, awesome. but as I started googling these displays, I just stumbled upon the sony ps3 3d display... whoa im out of the loop, when did this come out? Will this work with my pc input as well? looks to be a killer bargain considering I have a ps3 and would be able to use this multi purpose with pc and ps3.

edit: nvm answered my own question. I think im going to save up my pennies and hold out for this guy instead.

I think 3D is really cool and the technology has come a long way in a short time. But I am not keen on being forced to wear glasses to see 3D effects. This is especially true with big screen TVs where everyone in the room needs a pair of [often expensive] glasses to enjoy it.

Of course something better is always just around the corner and regardless, no matter what, the day after you bring new technology home, it becomes obsolete, or so it seems - replaced by the next generation. So waiting for the next generation can be a never ending wait. But in this case, 3D Without Glasses really does seem to be just around the corner. And since I don't feel I have yet received my money's worth out of my current, perfectly good TV and computer monitors, I am going to wait - I just hope not too long, I am not getting any younger. ;)

I think 3D is really cool and the technology has come a long way in a short time. But I am not keen on being forced to wear glasses to see 3D effects. This is especially true with big screen TVs where everyone in the room needs a pair of [often expensive] glasses to enjoy it.

Of course something better is always just around the corner and regardless, no matter what, the day after you bring new technology home, it becomes obsolete, or so it seems - replaced by the next generation. So waiting for the next generation can be a never ending wait. But in this case, 3D Without Glasses really does seem to be just around the corner. And since I don't feel I have yet received my money's worth out of my current, perfectly good TV and computer monitors, I am going to wait - I just hope not too long, I am not getting any younger. ;)

3d without glasses is already out. most on cellphones (evo 3d, lg thrill etc) but i believe the toshiba f755 has it as well with headtracking. The problem with glasses free 3d vs active 3d is the resolution... Ontop of trying to adjust your eyes and distance to make glasses free 3d to work (except with headtracking 3d) you lose essentially all hd content. This sony display seems like a home run for me. It does offer a new technology where it allows you to view different content depending on which angle you look at the screen so two players can play split screen but each player sees the full screen and not just half (which is awesome for battles when my friends try to look at my screen to locate me) ontop of that the 3d is rendered in full hd and has a 240hz refresh rate.

Just preordered it now at BB, suppose to come out in November which I can only assume will line up with the MW3 release

3d without glasses is already out. most on cellphones
Good point. I note in the article I linked to above, they mention that moving 3D to larger screens has not been very successful - but, they are working on it.

I have an excellent 46" LCD Samsung that is less than 2 years old in my HT system. If it should fail and I need a new TV, I see no reason NOT to get a 3D TV - especially since reviews say the latest still provide excellent 2D performance. But I hope it lasts until excellent 3D performance without glasses is here. And that means excellent for everyone in the room, not just the viewer sitting right in front of the screen.

My problem now is I am still replacing all my favorite DVDs with BluRay, and I'll have to do it all over again when 3D comes out! ;)

For larger images, I'd suggest projectors as the way to go. If you've got a good wall to hang a screen on, not near any windows (or at least windows with good blinds), then all I can say is you'll never want to go back to a TV again ;) the experience is pretty mind blowing. Even the 3D-capable projectors don't cost that much these days, far less than what a TV will run you.
I bought a Optoma HD66 a year or so ago, works great. You can grab it off ebay for ~$700 these days, or pay slightly extra and get a 3D-XL with it. The 3D-XL basically will let you play 3D blurays without needing a PC. If you've got a good PC already though, you won't need it.

As I said though, make sure before you buy that you have a suitable room for it. You'll typically want to sit ~10-15ft away from the screen, and if you watch a lot during the day then check that you can cut down on ambient light in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom