About to upgrade for Battlefield 3, need some input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
Alright so my current spec is in my sig, I would like to upgrade for battlefield 3. here are all of the parts I am thinking of getting, the motherboard seems great for all I need, does the RAM look alright? I will b keeping my gtx470 for this upgrade. What CPU cooler would you guys recommend? That V8 seems great, but maybe too massive for this motherboard? I Would love to hear what you guys think of this build, thanks!

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

CPU cooler possibilities?: Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Or this one: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

my case is an antec900, should be able to fit most coolers. Definitely would like to push the i5 to 4ghz on air, Thanks again guys!

hmm doesn't look too bad, but in the reviews the cooling doesn't look to be really that great. I really want a massive one but I just don't know how it will fit! grrr

Not sure what reviews you've read but Googling hyper 212 and 2500k overclock brings up a slew of different forum posts about people easily getting to 4.5GHz, and some up to 4.8/9.
Heck, people can push 3.7-4.0 on the stock Intel cooler.

The Hyper 212 (plus or evo) is plenty for 4.0GHz, and you can mount a 2nd fan for push/pull for even better cooling.

No you do not want to get that water cooler. A good air cooler like the ones listed above will destroy that thing in performance and also be nearly 100% reliable while that water system has a much greater chance of leaking and messing up your system. If you want water, you need to go custom built, not something from newegg. For a good water setup you need to spend at least ~$300. Stick with the air coolers they recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom