What is specifically needed for more than two monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camp_Ninja

Beta member
So I'm trying to assemble a workstation that will have four monitors hooked up. The big hurdle I keep running into is getting a straight forward answer on what four monitors will require (video card type, ports, splitter etc.). I have never hooked up more than two monitors and would like to find out. If anyone can point out the straight forward answer to this question I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Camp_Ninja

You need 2 video cards. Not in SLI or Crossfire. 2 separate cards. IIRC, you can connect up to 3 monitors on one card, but not 4.

You do not nessesaryily need 2 video cards.

ALL AMD cards now do eyefinity and so can output 3 screens. Some can do 5 screens, but they are a bit pricey.

Now if you have a motherboard has 2 pci-e x16 slots, x16 or x8, you can use 2 video cards, which can be different models but same brand, amd or nvidia.

Also you can do as many monitors as there are main out puts. A card might have 3 outputs, 2 dvi 1 hdmi, but it only has 2 useable output at a time. So 2 nvidia cards can do 4 monitors.

If you want, post up your motherboard, power supply and what you want to use the screens for, someone can show you what your options are and why.

Welcome to TF

Everyone,

Thank you for all the great input! Also the small laugh at autocorrect, the bane of the speed texter. I have looked into the card suggested and the motherboard piece. It will help me to gather some criteria before presenting some final ideas to my boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom