Buying a new computer - in need of help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengjo

Baseband Member
First of all I'd like to say that I am a "noob" when it comes to this.

I'm interested in buying a new computer. I want a gaming computer because that is what it's going to be used for.

I'm not going to play games such as Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 and all that. Rather I am interested in games like Diablo 3, League of Legends (even my current computer runs this particular game on high though) and MMORPGs.

I want a computer than can run these games smoothly on high graphic settings. Basically a computer that is a little above average, perhaps?

Current computer:
Packard Bell imedia S3810

Specs:
Prosessor: Intel Core i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz
RAM: 6,00 GB
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT320

I would like a good upgrade from this.

My budget goes up to around 1900$, I don't really want to spend more than this. NOTE: that I do not know if this is enough now a days.

Can I get what I seem to be looking for, with this budget?

Like I said, I am really bad at this and don't really know the prices, etc.

Help is MUCH appreciated. I realize this might be asking a little much as well, though! :annoyed:

$1,900 is way more than you'll need to get a computer that will do what you're looking for it to do, you'll end up with something real nice.

Two questions:
1) What country are you in? Assuming US, but a lot of others use the $.
2) Are you looking for a pre-built, or build your own?
2a) If you're leaning toward pre-built there are a slew of reasons for building your own, such as being able to optimize it perfectly for your needs, knowing it inside and out if anything goes wrong, and getting so much more bang for your buck. Plus, if you ever played with legos you already have the skills needed.
Build a PC - Introduction to Building your PC - PCitYourself.com

You also have the choice to upgrade your current system by just getting a new case, better psu, and video card if you just want a bit more gaming performance.

$1,900 is way more than you'll need to get a computer that will do what you're looking for it to do, you'll end up with something real nice.

Two questions:
1) What country are you in? Assuming US, but a lot of others use the $.
2) Are you looking for a pre-built, or build your own?
2a) If you're leaning toward pre-built there are a slew of reasons for building your own, such as being able to optimize it perfectly for your needs, knowing it inside and out if anything goes wrong, and getting so much more bang for your buck. Plus, if you ever played with legos you already have the skills needed.
Build a PC - Introduction to Building your PC - PCitYourself.com

1. I'm actually from Norway, I just used the $ to give you guys a better idea of what my budget was. :)
2. I have opened up my case several times, taking everything apart and putting it together again. The only issue I have with it are the cords. So I guess both pre-built and building my own is an option. If you recommend building my own and you could recommend the parts, that'd be great. Because I do not know what goes together nicely (ex: will the PSU power the GPU nicely etc...)

But as I said, I am pretty new to this whole thing. I've got very little knowledge when it comes to computer hardware!

You also have the choice to upgrade your current system by just getting a new case, better psu, and video card if you just want a bit more gaming performance.

Yea, but my brother's computer is about to shut down for good, and is pretty old, so I'm donating this one to him and buying a new one for myself. :)

I highly recommend building your own. As long as you read the manuals, and the tags on the cables, its not too hard to figure out where everything plugs in.
Also there is the guide I linked, and if you have the time this video: Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer.

As to parts, I'd go this route:
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 -or- MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3)
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X -or- 8GB Corsair Vengeance low-profile
ODD: Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner
HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
SSD: 120GB OCZ Agility 3
GPU: EVGA Superclocked GTX570
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2
Case: Corsair Carbide 400R

Not all the parts may be available in Norway hence why there are some items with 2 links.
Also things like the SSD and HDD can be downgraded to smaller capacities if you don't need that much space.

I highly recommend building your own. As long as you read the manuals, and the tags on the cables, its not too hard to figure out where everything plugs in.
Also there is the guide I linked, and if you have the time this video: Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer.

As to parts, I'd go this route:
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 -or- MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3)
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X -or- 8GB Corsair Vengeance low-profile
ODD: Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner
HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
SSD: 120GB OCZ Agility 3
GPU: EVGA Superclocked GTX570
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2
Case: Corsair Carbide 400R

Not all the parts may be available in Norway hence why there are some items with 2 links.
Also things like the SSD and HDD can be downgraded to smaller capacities if you don't need that much space.

First of all I'd like to tell you how much I appreciate you helping me like this. :)

Do you know if I can buy these things from Newegg.com and get it shipped to Norway? Or do I need to find the items in other stores that do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom