Is this routine for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stirb6

Beta member
Hi I'm a local field tech for a company and I had a complaint against me today from a client and it got me thinking. Is it routine? I have been a tech for a couple of years now I am a hardware tech for a major computer company and I normally just install parts and go...But this person complained because when I replaced the video card I didn't check his capasitors which had one leaking. So when you local techs are looking at a pc that seemed to have a software problem do you inspect the capasitors? His problem was he lost video when windows loaded normally, in safe mode and bios it was perfect but when it went to regular full loaded windows the screen went black or blue. Does that warrant motherboard inspection?

IMO, you want to check for what is at hand, and anything else you notice on hand. You can't assume anything.

FYI, it's spelled "capacitors"

It's just a letter, anyways they don't give us time to inspect and fix every problem the person has, I am a hardware replacement tech not a full service one. We have to be in and out in 30 minutes or less. Just asking if you find yourself doing it on every pc you would service. He made it sound like it was a normal thing to also do and I was an idiot for not doing so.

I wouldn't expect my tech guy to do a full inspection of my computer when I just need a new part. Reporting someone for this is just people trying to get some money back by playing the blame game. I wouldn't worry about it. They're in the wrong here.

It's just a letter, anyways they don't give us time to inspect and fix every problem the person has, I am a hardware replacement tech not a full service one. We have to be in and out in 30 minutes or less. Just asking if you find yourself doing it on every pc you would service. He made it sound like it was a normal thing to also do and I was an idiot for not doing so.

Sorry but 30 Min or less is more than enough time to take a look at all the parts in a PC and notice if there is something wrong. If you do this daily, then it should be no problem to get in, replace a part in about 5-10 minutes tops. That gives you upwards of 20 minutes to at least give it a once over for such things.

I would do it on every PC I service. Cause these people paid money for this service and the last thing they want or need is to have to have their machine go down yet again cause a "Tech" missed something last time he was replacing something that caused a more serious problem.

This time it is a capacitor. What happens next time when you miss a short somewhere and it fries the mobo and parts and they get a whole new PC? Or how about this. You paid for the extra protection and service to have someone come to you and fix your PC. Only to find out that the person who was sent, missed something that caused your PC to go down yet again. Now imagine that you work from home and this is your only way to make money. How would you feel if this happened to you?

I bet if the situation was reversed, you wouldnt be so meh about it. You have no idea what the situation is that you are walking into. You have no idea what these people do with their PC or if it is their way of making a living. Just cause someone can program, doesnt mean they know how to replace hardware.

Yeah I check everything. No matter what the time restraint maybe.

I have had complaints from customers before about work not being perfect. The issue comes down to, parts fail when they fail, I can service a PC, everything looks absolutely perfect and works perfect, two days later a cap can blow out, or something small somewhere fails, and people immediately assume it was the tech that failed.

Now, here is my question, you said it seemed like a software problem, why replace the GPU? That in it self says that you felt there was a hardware failure, and wasn't so sure of what the problem really was. A leaking cap can at times, be VERY hard to locate, but given time you can start figuring out the signs of a leaky cap.

1: Does the cap stand up straight? If not, suspect it to be faulty, or leaking.
2: Do you notice a shine around components that don't match the surface of the rest of the PCB? If so, suspect a bad component in that area.

I can understand you have only 30 minutes to diagnose, fix, and get outta there, which is a load of bull to have to do, but ya gotta try to make sure everything is good, it's not hard to visually inspect and fully service a PC in 30 minutes unless it needs something done software wise, then that can screw you easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom