Windows XP home chkdsk /f help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorisdvu

Beta member
My computer has been running extremely slow. Now when I turn it on it shows the XP logo, then goes to a black screen. It sits here for about a minute then goes to a blue screen for scanning disks. It keeps repeating this over and over never advancing to another step. I tried defragmenting and I get a message, please run chkdsk /f. I run chkdsk /f and I get a message that says run chkdsk /f, I get a message saying "Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is inuse by another process. Would you like to schedulethis volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" When I say yes and restart, same story, black screen, blue screen etc. and keeps repeating. I tried running chkdsk and I get a message stating "Warning! F parameter is not specified." It goes thru stage 1 no problem, stage 2 it says it's deleting files and then it disappears. Any ideas? I'm not computer savvy, so please don't get too technical.;)

dorisdvu said:
My computer has been running extremely slow. Now when I turn it on it shows the XP logo, then goes to a black screen. It sits here for about a minute then goes to a blue screen for scanning disks. It keeps repeating this over and over never advancing to another step. I tried defragmenting and I get a message, please run chkdsk /f. I run chkdsk /f and I get a message that says run chkdsk /f, I get a message saying "Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is inuse by another process. Would you like to schedulethis volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" When I say yes and restart, same story, black screen, blue screen etc. and keeps repeating. I tried running chkdsk and I get a message stating "Warning! F parameter is not specified." It goes thru stage 1 no problem, stage 2 it says it's deleting files and then it disappears. Any ideas? I'm not computer savvy, so please don't get too technical.;)

boot to your cd, choose install then repair

boot your computer with a boot cd for winxp

and enter dos mode then use chkdsk /f to fix your disk errors!

reboot your computer and just ok!

suker said:
boot your computer with a boot cd for winxp

and enter dos mode then use chkdsk /f to fix your disk errors!

reboot your computer and just ok!

I agree that you are on your way to being a genius!

just out of curiosity...have you tried going into safe mode and doing a system restore to an earlier point???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom