Solid State Drive Causing BSoD - Common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raze664

Daemon Poster
I've just built a new computer,

i5 2500k (stock[for now])
8GB DDR3 1600
Asus P8Z68
Dual 6970's 2GB in Crossfire
1TB WD Caviar
and a 60GB Corsair Force 3 SSD

This is my first experience with a Solid State Drive, not too impressed so far..

Original setup was the Corsair as my primary drive for windows and the like, but got continous BSoD, was always 'ntoskrnl.exe' that was crashing it in the dump reports.

I formatted windows, put it on the Corsair again, updated the firmware on the drive, same problem.

So I've taken the drive out, and put the Caviar as my drive, no problems (at least not so far, it's lasted longer than the Corsair.)

Anyone know any reasons why its doing this? Should I send it back and get another, or are they just going to say there's nothing wrong with it and send it back (probably at my expense.)

Call up Corair. Request a RMA form. You just pay the shipping to them, only a few bucks considering its light and small. They will send it back free. In most cases, a new one. Like RAM, SSD's can go bad, too.

Did you have AHCI enabled in the bios? When you installed the Chipset Driver (Intel INF Update Utility), did you change the SATA Controller driver back to the Windows AHCI driver? The Intel AHCI driver has never played well with any SSD I've used.

I hadn't tried that, will give that a shot now.

It did start after installing chipset drivers each time to be honest.

Put the SSD back in and changed the AHCI to IDE, from it's default one and it seems to be working perfectly now, not had any crashes since I put it back in (6 hours ago), and spent most of that time gaming.

Obviously it would be nice to keep it as ACHI in the BIOS, but it's playing nice and it works, so I will have a play with it tomorrow check other features.

Cheers for the tip, saved me the wasted time of sending it back and them saying there's no fault. :D

I never said to switch it to IDE, I did recommend rolling the Intel AHCI SATA driver back to the Microsoft AHCI SATA driver.

and please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom