Unlocking a "non reference" HIS H695QNT2G2M 6950 to 6970

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
Has anyone tried unlocking the shaders to a 6970? I've read various methods, not for this card, most of which apply to the reference models. There are some out there who say this isn't possible for this specific card, and there are some say that it is. There has got to be a way to do this, someone just hasn't locked it down yet.

My guess is it's a combination of running some dos commands, using winflash, and flashing the GPU BIOS - as that seems to be the most confusing but most reliable method for non reference.

I just bought the card, repasted and OC'd is to 900mhz (over 100mhz from a stock 6950), it doesn't even touch 60c under load. This thing as far as efficiency goes is very capable, hopefully I can find someone who knows how these things work.

My guess is it's a combination of running some dos commands, using winflash, and flashing the GPU BIOS - as that seems to be the most confusing but most reliable method for non reference.
It's not a matter of doing the right things, it's a matter of the card actually being ABLE to be unlocked or not. Some can be, some can't. I would search through some of the popular enthusiast forums (xtremesystems, hardforum, overclock.net, etc) to see if anyone has had luck with your model card.

If you have another card you can use to flash the stock bios back on the card in case anything goes wrong, it may be worth a shot to try it. However I would advise against it because of the risk of bricking the card.

It's not a matter of doing the right things, it's a matter of the card actually being ABLE to be unlocked or not. Some can be, some can't. I would search through some of the popular enthusiast forums (xtremesystems, hardforum, overclock.net, etc) to see if anyone has had luck with your model card.

If you have another card you can use to flash the stock bios back on the card in case anything goes wrong, it may be worth a shot to try it. However I would advise against it because of the risk of bricking the card.

Actually the reasoning for why some cards CANNOT is because an operational BIOS has not been found for these cards. The hardware is there to make a 6970 from a 6950 possible, it's just a matter of finding the right software/firmware to make it work.

I have heard there's luck in using the cards 6970 BIOS variant (i.e. HIS IceQ X Turbo 6970), anyone tried this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom