General server questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equustech

Beta member
I'm about to lease office space (about 1,200 sq feet) for a financial services firm. The space I like has a copier room, which is probably 12 feet by 4 feet. If I lease the space, I'd like to use this space for a server. Is it possible to have a server in this type of space without special cooling equipment? Also, I won't have back-up power - when power goes out, does it impact a server any differently than it does a PC? For $1,500 to $2,000, will I be able to buy a fairly powerful server (I want to store lots of data on it)? In the next few weeks, I'm going to hire an IT firm, but I haven't done it yet (obviously). Thank you.

What services will you be running on the server?
A "server" is just a normal PC that's running specific services. For example, I could get a PC, make a shared folder on it and put some files in, then call it a "File Server"

So what hardware you need, and what cooling solutions you need, will depend on what you want to be able to do. Share files? Make a website? FTP? Let employees connect to the file server from home? etc

I want everyone to have access to a common drive--in order to share primarily Word and Excel files. In addition, I would like employees to have connectivity from home. Finally, I want one main piece of software to reside on the server (it's software for a program that allows one to gather financial information on publicly traded companies).

Common drive is easy, you've just gotta decide how much space you'll need. Buy a few 1TB drives and RAID 5 them together in your server (RAID functionality is built-in on Intel server boards). How many employees will be accessing it? If you need more than 3TB of space, you might need to buy a separate enclosure just for the hard drives

To connect from home you'll need to setup a VPN server at work. There's plenty of software options available, the IT guy you hire should have something he prefers already.

The main piece of software is a little hard to advise on, not knowing what it does/is. Is it a database? Or is it an actual application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom