Need help with new game build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMHMHM

Solid State Member
I think I would like to try to build my own computer for the first time. I have done a little reading about it and watched some youtube videos, and I think I can do it. Now I need to figure out the parts, and I have little idea where to begin. My budget is around 1100$-1400$, but cheaper is always welcome as well.

For the same price of 1300$, would I get more out of an Intel or AMD build? I think I would like Intel, because I think I would prefer an nVidia card over an ATI and might like to try SLI at some point in the future, AMD does not support SLI? I think I read that somewhere, but im not sure.

I had looked at an i7 core, but now I cant really see much difference between the i7 or i5 for my gaming purposes, I do not have any intention to overclock at the moment.

Is there anything new coming from Intel in the next month or so that I would do well to wait for, or is Sandy Bridge a pretty good bet?

Would a 4 core Intel chip or a 6 core AMD chip be better for games? I would like something that can play New Vegas, Human Revolution and Skyrim at really high to highest settings.

I would greatly appreciate some system ideas from the members here, and would appreciate some insight into my questions.

Thank you so much everyone!

This ia a decent how to guide.

The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!

For your budget I would go with an Intel based system. Just to clarify things for you. You can use both AMD and Nvidia video cards with an Intel system, but you can also use AMD and Nvidia video cards with an AMD system. SLI is what Nvidia calls a system utilizing two video cards, AMD has the same basic feature only they call it CrossFireX.

From a gaming perspective the i5 will work almost as well as the i7, with your budget I recommend the i5 2500K. While you don't plan on overclocking I recommend that you still buy components that are capable of overclocking, in the future it will allow you have a free upgrade of sorts.

I don't think we'll be seeing anything special in the next month.

A 4 core cpu is going to be your best bet.

For ~$1,300 Intel for sure. The whole SLi on AMD boards is tricky, I believe they are starting to support it though.

i5 2500k (4-core), all you need for gaming, and nothing on the horizon really worth waiting for.

Build I recently suggested, think it pretty much covers what you're looking for:
CPU: $220 Intel i5 2500k.
MB: $125 ASRock Z68 Extreme3.
RAM: $50 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600.
ODD: $22 Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner.
HDD: $60 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3.
SSD: $107 60GB OCZ Agility 3.
GPU + PSU: $460 EVGA GTX 570 + Corsair HX750.
Case + OS: $205 Corsair 400R + Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit OEM.

Total = $1,249 (before shipping/rebates/other combos)

Or, +$107 and swap the GPU/PSU combo for an EVGA GTX 580 + Corsair TX750 V2.

This is assuming you have a keyboard/mouse/monitor.

Thank you for that build! I think I like it. I have a few questions though.

1. Is the SSD really that important? I like the idea but I am not entirely sure i need it. A regular HDD should do.
2. I still have no intention to overclock right now, but with that suggested set up I could do it right?
3. I have not had any experience with the company that makes the RAM, is it good? Seems cheaper than RAM I had been looking at before, but if it is still good, i would rather go cheap.
4. If I decide to get a dual card GPU set up in the future, I could do it with that MB and set up?

Thanks! and I am happy to get the suggestion!

first, good job Roark!

now for your questions:

1.a SSD allows you to access things on it MUCH faster than a HDD, for example, the OS will boot probably a good 5x faster when the OS is on a HDD, game levels load a lot faster... everything is just faster.

2.with that setup, any component that can be overclocked, you will be able to be overclocked with roarks suggested setup...

3. Gskill is one of the most respectable and value oriented ram manufacturers...

4. If you are going to even consider a dual GPU setup in the future id suggest a larger powersupply.. a 850W would be good... and yes, that motherboard will be able to support dual graphics cards...

The SSD was the most notable upgrade I've made in the last 5 years, and I upgrade a lot. I highly recommend a SSD, it will even make a low-budget PC seem fast, sometimes.

What high performance HDD would you suggest?

I use Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (I don't think it really counts as 'high performance') I've also heard good about Western Digital's caviar blacks, which are the high performance end of WD's HDD line. The only HDDs with better performance than that are velociraptors, which are at such a price level now it would be better to just buy a SSD.

Also don't doubt that SSDs are a great upgrade, I just don't mess with them as of right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom