One of my drives clicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsaucer

Beta member
I came home this evening after a day long power failure. I occasionally hear a metellic "click" like a hard drive makes. I have four internal drives, totaling probably 2T of data. All drives test OK using SeaTools. How can I tell which drive is clicking?

Or maybe it's in the other computer sitting next to it?

The last time I heard the noise was a year or two ago... But after I swapped power cables to my drives, it stopped... until this evening...

In fact, It hasn't done it in the last half hour.

Just read about this in an A+ cert. earlier today. Check the power connection going to the drives, a loose pin could cause this. Seeing as swapping the power cables fixed it last time, I would start there. Couldn't hurt to do a 2nd diagnostic scan, 2TB is alot of data to risk losing. As far as narrowing which drive is causing problems, there is no easy way that I am aware of. Just keep a careful ear open.

Do what he said ^^. If the drive isn't continuously clicking then you don't really have a problem. Just sounds like something is disconnecting the power to one of the drives.

Also make sure the OS isn't powering your hard drives down, I noticed for some reason after I installed an SSD on my PC, the setting to power down inactive drives was set to 10 minutes :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom