Power+Fans+Lights but NO DISPLAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
I'm running an old Q6600, 8800GTS and P35-DS3L build.

I've reset/replaced the CMOS battery and I've swapped video cards (HD 6850); same problem.

I tested the psu on a much older build (P4/TNT2, lol) and it runs. Don't know if that qualifies as enough of a test.

The remaining culprits are the mobo, cpu and memory. If I simply remove the memory, shouldn't I still get a display? I've tried and I don't get a display, meaning it's most likely the cpu or mobo. The mobo has no clear signs of any problems (blown capacitors, damage, etc)

Either way, where do I go on from here? Anything I can do before moving on to swapping parts to a test computer? (I don't have one with an LGA775 socket + PCI-E and would likely have to go through a friend's which I want to avoid)

If you don't have all 4 key components in place then no, you wont get a display. Try starting with just 1 stick of RAM. Make sure it is in the first yellow slot and nice and snug. Also, reseat your heatsink, CPU, and GPU to make sure everything is placed properly. Finally, reseat your video card and go from there. Make sure to try a single stick of RAM in each slot. If you have 2 sticks, after trying all slots move on to the next stick.

I recently had a problem similar to yours and it was just a matter of buying a new stick. I agree with the above ^^^ post. Good luck :)

I suggest you try another monitor before doing stuff like reseating CPUs (which risks ESD destruction and requires a new and proper application of TIM - thermal interface material).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom