Motherboard suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogr3man

Beta member
OK, I've found out you should pick the motherboard first but I already purchased these items and have them in my possession. Looking to match a good mobo with everything but not sure. I mainly check newegg reviews but am looking for advice on these forums. Can anyone help me find one? Anything from $100-200. Take it easy on me. :umm:

Specs so far:
  • Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
  • Video Card - EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1567-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support
  • Hard Drive Storage - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
  • Power Supply - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power
  • Drive - Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM

Thanks Roark. I'm thinking of going the P67 route since I won't be using a SSD with features used for the Z68 board. Still not sure yet for the future though since it's my first build.

I'm with you there, I think most of the Z68 features are kind of useless, even with an SSD.
I do like the fact that some are using PCIe 3.0 though. It isn't necessary yet, but if you're one of those people that keeps a computer around for years it might be nice to have that small bit of future proofing.

Here is a side-by-side comparison, all the features are pretty similar.
Personally, I'd probably go with the MSI Z68A-GD55.

I just purchased the ASRock Z68 pro Gen3, which was recommended for my build in a previous thread. It has PCIe3.0 capabilities which will be nice if i upgrade my video card. It's also backwards compatbile with the new Ivy Bridge Intel CPU's, which I think P67 is also...It's pretty expensive for that particular one, but i'm happy with being able to upgrade to next gen components.

that skim link isn't the correct board, here is the correct link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

It's also backwards compatbile with the new Ivy Bridge Intel CPU's, which I think P67 is also...

IvyBridge is not backward compatible with anything out right now. IvyBridge will use socket LGA2011 whereas the P67 and Z68 are socket LGA1155.

I have been looking into this for a while, theres a lot of people out there shouting out different things. I havent been able to find solid proof from intel that they plan on using 1155. Wouldnt it make sense for them to use a different socket and chipset for a newly designed 22nm processor?

I'm considering the P series mobo since I know that I may not get into the new stuff (z series/ssd) since I am not the most knowledgeable type in this subject but I still have upgrades on the frontier. As long as it all works with no regrets I will be a happy camper. The new tech on the horizon I am unfamiliar with so I may go with it but anyone with decent advice I will consider. Also, got an old case, looking for another mid-tower to hold an ATX mobo and as for monitors, any insight would be helpful. As far as that goes, decent specs include:
1) IPS panel.
2) 120 hz
3) sub 5ms response
4) easy to adjust stand (a lot of stands these days only tilt or some don't even tilt at all)
5) a buddy of mine (hard-core gamer said his personal opinion a 16:9 aspect ratio is made for gaming while 16:10 is centered around having multiple documents/tablets open for ease of use.)

What do ya'll think? Also, my power supply is not modular which sucks, but do you think I would need a full tower for space or will a mid be ok for all the cable ties I will be using. Any suggestions would help. Thanks for the input so far guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom