D-Link DNS-320

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
ShareCenter® 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure, (2) 3.5" Bays, SATA, RAID 0/1, Gigabit Ethernet Port, USB Print Server

This ShareCenter storage device has a storage capacity of up to 4TB (greater capacities supported with future firmware release), so everyone on your network can back up and share their documents, music, photos, videos to a central location and access them remotely over the Internet right out of the box. Plus, it features a built-in Web File and FTP server so you can remotely access your files over the Internet.

Features:

• The cost-effective way to store and share your documents, music, videos, and photos with anyone on your network
  • Ideal backup solution for households with more than 1 computer – no need to physically connect a USB drive to each computer to perform scheduled backups
  • Included backup software allows users to protect important files by scheduling automatic backups on set timeline
  • Share a USB printer over the network between all the computers in your house
  • Built-in Web File server and FTP server to access digital files remotely over the Internet
  • 2-bay enclosure ideal for DIY customers wanting to use/source their own disk drive(s) – insert up to two 3.5" SATA disk drives without any tools or attaching any cables
  • Supports up to 4TB storage capacity using 2TB disk drives (greater capacities supported with future firmware release)
  • Connect to the network with a Gigabit port for fast transfer speeds
  • Support for RAID 1 (mirroring) to protect against data loss in the event of a disk drive failure
  • Easy management with user-friendly web-based GUI
  • Complementary solution with other D-Link digital home products:
    • store and stream media content from your ShareCenter to your TV using your Boxee Box
    • store IP video to your ShareCenter as part of your home monitoring solution
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received this yesterday, from TigerDirect, for $100 on sale. For some odd reason, Newegg deactivated it. :wtf: But TigerDirect had the same $100 sale as Newegg.

I have only had this for ~20 hours, and I have already put 140GB on it, from my backups. Runs like a champ! No Ethernet drops. This thing is quite loud when the HDDs are spinning, but after it puts them to sleep, it's silent.

I have my 2 x 640GB AAKS WD's on there. In a RAID1. I didn't get to choose what to format it to, but EX3 is just fine. CIFS was enabled by default. I also added FTP to it. Was rather simple. Can connect it through the network and FTP. Initially, it wasn't detecting one drive, but I reinserted it, and it found it right away. I reinserted the drive when the system was still on, had no problems. So I guess these are hot-swappable. :)

To the pics:

IMG_0157.jpg

The box, need I say more?

IMG_0158.jpg

The ShareCenter, Power brick and power plug, Ethernet cable, and instruction booklet. Includes a CD, but I never used it.

IMG_0159.jpg

Better look at the ShareCenter. Shiny outside, mirror appearance. Bottom left, it has a door that allows you to add a USB printer cable to it. Bottom right, power button.

IMG_0160.jpg

Opening up the top section, we see the PCB and brackets and connector for 2 x 3.5 drives

IMG_0161.jpg

A close look at the PCB. The ever popular battery. :p

IMG_0162.jpg

Look after I put my 2 x 640GB WD's in there.

IMG_0163.jpg

The back panel. Power, Ethernet port, fan. It is nice to have that little hook on the left. You can attach the power cord to it. Makes it easier to stretch the cord wherever it need to go. Also on the top center, the release switch to open the top.

IMG_0164.jpg

Blue LEDs for the power, left disk, right disk, and usb.

Untitled-1.png

The web interface, pretty simple. Pretty d**n easy for any noob.

I would give this a 5/5. It fits my exact needs. Just a simple file server. And low-powered, silent. As MyGodAL3X suggested it to me, he was right! :)

Not bad, I wish you had ran some before and after speed tests on the drives. While this isn't a "Performance" product, people still like to look at the numbers.

Well, when I test, I just get two large files, about 2GB each, put one on the drive, then transfer the two between the PC and the NAS at the same time and see what kind of up AND down i get. You could always possibly run a benchmark on them? Not too sure.

I don't know if it hurts anything, but this is going through a router and a switch. It did fluctuate between times. Of course, that time is rounded off. Not a true transfer rate.

Update, gents. I now have a printer connected to it. It's an HP DeskJet D2530. I just connect the USB cable to the front of the box, and that was it. No configuration needed. Connected to the printer, through the network on my PC. It installed drivers, and I tested it by printing a blank Paint document. The printer chirped up, and printed. Now, it had nothing to print, but it did go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom