8GB vs 16GB for Video Editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm slightly irritated at myself for going with the i5 now instead of the i7
There's no practical difference between the two when you're overclocking them.

I definitely recommend getting an aftermarket cooler. Getting a higher OC on your CPU is pretty much the only thing that will get you better performance (at a sensible price) currently.

Hyper-Threading is usually a plus with tasks like rendering. I would try and sell the i5 2500K, you'll take a small loss, and I would buy a i7 2600K.

Ah, well I would just have air cooling. But nonetheless I'm willing to bet that it would still kill my i5.

Regardless, another thing came up: Perhaps I should wait until the 2700K comes out. With Bulldozer on its way as well, at insanely competitive prices, I'm sure it will drive the 2600K down in price at least a little.
Then, once the 2700K comes out, there's no doubt the 2600K will drop even further.

Thoughts?

While the 2700K will perform slightly better than the 2600K at stock speeds, I really don't see it performing any better than the 2600K when it comes to overclocking performance. I see this scenario repeating the "i7 920 to i7 930" scenario. The 930 I tried was actually a worse overclocker than the two 920's I had.

It's really hard to say as a lot of my components were free, review samples. In the last 10 years I have spent over $20,000 at NewEgg.

Hmm...Still trying to determine whether or not I ought to upgrade to the 2600k here, or wait until the 2700k and bulldozer line comes out, to drive the price of the 2600k down.

Does anybody happen to have an opinion on the whole price-change + waiting to upgrade scenario?

There's no telling if the price of the 2600K will drop or not, if it does drop I wouldn't expect it to drop much. If the AMD Bulldozer was a better cpu then it might of caused a better price drop, but that doesn't seem very likely now either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom