Thinking of getting a new computer but been out of the game for a bit need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobie123

Beta member
Hey guys, I havnt had a new computer in some time now as i have been over seas.

i havnt been keeping up to date with the latest stuff going around for computers etc. i found a site that i got my last computer on, the specs for the one im thinking of getting are;

• intel Core i7-2600 3.40GHz Processor CPU
  • 4GB Kingston DDR3 Memory
  • 2TB SATAII Hard Disk Drive
  • 22x Dual Layer DVD-RW burner
  • Geforce GTX N460 OC 1GB Video Card
  • Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Gaming Case
  • 650W "Corsair" TX-650 ATX Power Supply
Any thoughts or feed back on this would be awesome.

thanks so much

I would get the 2600k, it has an unlocked multiplier for overclocking.
Even if you don't plan on OCing, its worth the extra couple bucks to have the ability to later.

Why not build it yourself? There are lots of good sites with info on how to do this. Also I only somewhat agree on the 2600k. If you're not an overclocker I don't see the need for it. The 2600 still uses turbo response technology to get speeds up to 3.8GHz... and if that's good enough for you why not save a couple bucks?

Also what do you plan on playing? 4GB doesn't seem like a lot for some of the more recent games.

Also what do you plan on playing? 4GB doesn't seem like a lot for some of the more recent games.
4GB is plenty for gaming at the moment, and the OP can always add more in future if needed, when it will likely be cheaper.

On the subject of CPU, better to get the i5 2500 or i5 2500K. The i7's are about 40% more expensive for 2-3% performance increase.
And it's always better to get the 2500K over a 2600. Cheaper and potentially much higher performance.

Price tag is about 1200 Australian.

i have never built my own computer before, Happy to have a crack. What are some good sites, or is Wiki just a good info?

im not a massive gamer, general like to play a bit of online stuff EI Duke and other newer games. so was even thinking of upgrading to the I7 2600 or even the i7-950? not sure.

What do you mean there 40% more but arnt worth the upgrade?

Thanks again for the input :big_grin:

You probably want to buy off MSY, see if they have a store close to you
Locate Us

What yami meant is after a certain point, you start paying more $$$ for smaller and smaller performance increases. e.g XYZ cpu costs $100 and scores 100 awesome points. XYZ+ costs $200 and scores 150 awesome points. XYZ++ costs $300 and scores 175 awesome points. etc etc etc

I'll put you together a build when I get home from work, or someone might put one up before then. MSY Online
don't be put off by the crappy website :p their prices are hard to beat here.

reading all the comments and going thru a couple of these walking throughs to build your own pc, i see it isnt all that hard at all.

i went thru the price list of what i would want and it comes up a fair bit cheaper.

Is MSY online a good retailer in australia tho? are they better than any other that comes to mind?

thanks for all the help, and other tips i would be very great full. thanks so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom