New HD (SSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA1978chik

Baseband Member
Hello everyone!
I have done a little research on SSD drives but found I am still unsure what to get. (they are quite expensive):umm:. I am needing about 250G minimum storage capacity but I would like to know concretely what is the fastest AND most reliable drive I can buy. I also would like to have the TRIM capability since I am always adding and removing file quite frequently. I think I have decided to keep my volociraptor with 7/64 intact and try to simply move my FSX folder over to the new SSD drive. Is that possible? Reinstalling everything is a very long tedious project but if I have to I will.
My MB=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614&cm_re=ASUS_P6X58D-_-13-131-614-_-Product

Thanks for looking into this for me.

PS I was thinking=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227744 .........will it fit on my MB?
I am a little confused on the PCI rigamoralethingystuff

Fastest = anything based on the new Sandforce controllers (OCZ vertex 3 etc)
Most reliable Intel 320 or 510 series.

Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The Crucial M4 would probably be my pick since it much cheaper than the Intel drives but still more reliable than the Sandforce based ones. The Sandforce based drives are faster though and a lot of people seem to like them, they are just kind of hit or miss when it comes to reliability.

.....so if I decided to go with the fastest (possibly less reliable) that would be relevant to the return policy and/or warranty, correct? In other words I think I might be more inclined to go with the faster one and take my chances on getting a replacement via the warranty should it not perform as it should.
Hmmmm thanks. I'll let this thread meander a little before I decide.

I've tested multiple Sandforce SSD's and I haven't had any problems. My Vertex3 review should be posted in a couple of days.

i have a ocz vertex 3 and its a pretty sick drive. Huge upgrade over a standard HDD, but if you look into it more you will hear a lot of flak about ocz and people will urge you to stay away. But then again looking at it rationally, most people dont jump on forums to rave about something they just bought that is amazing, they will usually only go out of their way to post their negative experience about something, so take it with a grain of salt.

I chose a Corsair Force Series 3 and have been tweaking my system a lot.

None of the hanging issues like other people have reported with the sandforce controllers...

Just be prepared to spend a lot of time optimizing your system, and a ton more time if something doesn't work right. Read up on the support forums (be careful though, while you'll see a lot of negative press, that probably isn't the normal experience for users).

Thanks for the input so far.
While on the sub-subject of optimizing a system I would like to share what I use to keep my version of windows running as fast as possible. I think that everyone's boot time while going through the black screen portion of it (sorry, I don't know the proper term for this:sad:) is pretty much a 10 to 20 second duration. However after selecting your operating drive or entering your password that's when you want minimize start-up time. I got my wife to time with a stop watch from password entered until she saw my desktop. closest I figure was 1.65 seconds!
This link is specifically designed for tweaking FSX but for serious gamers I have no doubt whatsoever that it will benefit everyone.
SETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT - SimForums.com Discussion
......and now I'll let this post continue on it's original course...:p

PS: I would like to hear more about the "hanging" regarding the sandforce controllers.

Ha good deal neighbor.
One more question. I had mentioned in my opening post that I wanted to keep my OS intact and just move my "Microsoft Flight-simulator" folder onto the new drive. My theory is that Windows will still find everything (concerning the registries) because I am just changing the location of the folder. Kinda like moving into a different apartment but still in the same building if you get what I mean. Let me know if I am missing something here in my thinking. My FSX folder is 125G and growing so my load times are getting really slow. I don't expect any better fps's (well maybe a little) but I tinker with it a lot so I want to load it faster.
Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom