Upgrading to 6xxx Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
Im upgrading from my 5850 series Radeon HD to a 6850. Now i figured id ask opinions first cause last time i bought a card (my current 5850) i come to find out the whole series was flawed and now you can no longer buy a 5850 from any manufacturer. Id like to know, for those who have experience with the 6xxx series, how they preform in xfire and do they OC well on dual screen setup. (when oc'ing my current card the idle clocks drop below the threshold of maintaining 2 displays and they glitch, flicker and artifact). All in all id like to know if its worth upgrading, taking into consideration that i wont go Nvidia cause my board wont support it, and the fact that you cannot buy a 5850 for less than 300$ cause the OEM's dont make them anymore.

This is what i was thinking, Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Thanks!

Im not worried about the performance increase honestly.... i have a friend that wants to buy my 5850 for 100$, for another 180$ i can pick up TWO 6850's for xfire. All im worried about is support... im sick of the 5850 and its inability to OC w/o dropping its idle clocks below 300mhz and making my second monitor flicker and artifact. What company should i go with? Sapphire is rubbish, but ive heard good things about XFX. Thoughts?

I would go with a single card setup if you want to avoid the problems you described, either a 6950 or a GTX560 for less than $300

i agree with slaymate. buy a 6950 for less than 300$, or if you're willing to spend 50$ more making it 350$, (which i doubt) you could purchase the 6970.

Any suggestions on brands? Like i said before Sapphire is kind of trash, at least in customer support. Id like to not rely solely on reviews and ratings.

How about Powercolor... i actually took a look at what they are all about, and im impressed, they have something to prove. Anyone have any trouble with them or more importantly, their products?

I had great dealings with PowerColor customer support in the past. But honestly, all the manufactures are the same anymore, all using the same PCB, basically made in the same plant. It all comes down to customer support and warranty anymore these days. I have been running Sapphire cards for ~5 years now with no issues what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom