Input on my next build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemorte

Solid State Member
Hey guys, this is my newest build I plan on piecing together. Mainly I will be using it for gaming, BF3 and Skirym and what-not. I am looking for any input, advice, or tips I can get, I have not bought anything as of now so I am willing to change pieces for the better. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

System Build - PCPartPicker

Unless you are using programs that benefit from hyper-threading I'd say go for the i5 2500k and save ~$80+.
16GB of RAM is overkill for gaming, and most other applications, grab this RAM instead.
For the price of 2x GTX460s, plus what you save on RAM/CPU if you choose, you can get a nice GTX580.

Don't forget the PSU, optical drive, and OS.

As far as the PSU, optical drive, and OS, I planned on using the items from my old build.
And would it really be better to have a single GTX580 than dual 460's?

What PSU is it?
Make sure your OS isn't OEM or it can't be transferred:
Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. On General Tab, under “Registered to:” you can see a product ID (divided into 4 groups of characters separated by hyphens). On an OEM installation, the 2nd group of characters is always OEM whereas on a Retail installation, you will see numbers (such 623).

Personally I think so. Benchmarks put them within a few FPS of each other (source), but if you want to upgrade in 6mo-1yr you can just add a 2nd 580 (and a juicier PSU) instead of having to remove both 460s.
Single cards are more future friendly, and typically use less power and produce less heat in your case.

I can give you more information on the psu and os when I get home. But I do like the ideas about the 580.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom