Can't connect to the internet on my desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUSEical

Solid State Member
Ok, so randomly the other day my desktop decided to take a dump on me and not connect to the internet. I have a laptop and so does my roommate and they are having no problems connecting wirelessly to our network. I've tried everything I can think of, reset the cable modem, reset my router, I even bought a new ethernet card because I noticed that my connection speed now says 1 Gbps instead of 100 Mbps - which tipped me off to the idea that maybe my original ethernet card couldn't handle the speed upgrade because I believe it is a 10/100 card. It connects to the network, but says it now says the network is unidentified and that there is no internet access. I even did a system restore on the whim that maybe a setting got messed up somewhere and that did nothing for me.

Any ideas?

Did you try a different ethernet cord? Did you try a different slot on the router? (if there are more than one)

I had my Linksys WRT54GL crap out on me like that. Wireless is fine, but wired is either dead slow or not connecting.

Tried both, nothing. Is there a way to change the network from public to home?

Edit: Did that too, no change.
I also connected the desktop directly to the cable modem and still nothing.

If it is occurring on both yours AND your room mates computers, You can bet ur arse its not Computer related... Somethings gone wrong with the router... Take note of all your Connection settings on the router configuration page and thgen re-set the router to defaults.

Re-configure your connection settings (there is often a back-up and restore option to make this simpler) Then give it a bash... If that doesnt work... and you can prove there is nothing wrong with the line, you need yerself a new router sonny boy!

[EDIT]... My bad... Just realised you said the others ARE working lol...

What OS are all the 3 machines running?
Are you using a Static IP?
Go into your Adaped properties, Configure your TCP/IP settings so that the default gateway is looking for the router and not some far off land :)

IP: 192.168.2.???
Default Gateway: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: Router IP

255.255.255.0 isn't your Default Gateway. That is your Subnet Mask.

Can you ask one of your friends to connect to the router by wired? This should confirm if the router is just plain dead.

Internet works on my laptop with a wired connection from my wireless router, so it's not the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom