Good way to cool CPU Mosfets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
A while back I had a thread about overclocking my i5 750. The chip seemed to run stable at high clock speeds but the issue was that the mosfets around my CPU were getting far to hot. At the time I was using the H70 that I won from the F@H contest but I've since removed it and gone back to my old XIGMATEK rifle because it allows for better airflow. I've also upgraded my case from my old Centurion 590 to a HAF 932. I was really hoping the the increased airflow would help cool the mosfets but I'm still running into the same problem.

This is my MoBo: Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55D-E LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
This is the old thread: http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/overclocking-my-i5-750-again-241383/

The air flow around my CPU should be fine with my case so would it be worth buying a heatsink for my mosfets?

It's a pain but I would remove the mosfet sinks and check the thermal tape. Because of the design they can't use thermal paste so they use thermal tape. But sometimes the tape isn't applied just right and it doesn't make good contact with all the chips.

If I remove the mosfet heatsinks will I need to apply new thermal tape? If I need new tape is there any high performance tape that I should use? I'm not to familiar with different types of thermal tape.

The mosfet heatsinks are secured with screws to the mobo so sticky thermal tape and thermal adhesive/epoxy are not needed. Or at least my mosfet heatsinks are secured with screws, yours may have a push-pin type of system but the result is the same. I would buy the thermal tape I linked to above, at $3 I would buy two.

Why use tape with mostfets that are secured that way? That style, I just use regular old thermal paste on them, tapes are more for securing things with out the clips/screws.

Oh, wait, your talking about those grease covered foam pads, not actual thermal TAPE, my bad. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom