Looking to upgrade Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

getzlaf

Beta member
Hello, I'm currently contemplating buying a new processor and I really could use some help, I'm not very familiar when it comes to computer parts and the such. Basically I upgraded my video card about a year ago so I could run WoW on higher graphics and it worked out great but my friend who assisted me in buying this new graphics card told me eventually I'd have to replace my processor since it was the one thing that wouldn't keep up with up to date games like Battlefield 3 for instance. So I did a PC 'can you run it' test for Battlefield 3 and the only thing that failed was my processor so I'd like to know if I could upgrade it to get a better experience with the games I currently play and the games for the future. And also if I would have to get a new motherboard to support a processor good enough for games like BF3.

My computer specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400
2.3 GHz CPU speed
3.0 GB of RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

I'm kind of new to this so if there is any information left out I can provide it as needed.
Also, if anything else should be upgraded such as my videocard I would be greatly appreciative if anyone would let me know.

Thanks

Do you have a budget? i think you should make a new build. upgrading your processor would probably require a new motherboard, considering Athlon(tm) 64 processors are AM2(?) and the newer ones are AM3 sockets. they MIGHT be compatible with AM2+ motherboards but features would be bottle necked. the 4800 series is also kind of old. it might run hot or be under full load if you try to play at high settings for BF3. RAM shouldn't be much of an Issue...

do you want AMD chip for Intel Chip? when do you want the computer by? (approx.) and even if you don't have a budget, how much are you willing to spend and not feel its too expensive?

I think the 4400 was a socket 939. Your not going to find anything performance wise worth paying for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom