Recommended Compatible Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

damiancds

Baseband Member
So I'm thinking about building my second computer. (My first computer was not done well and suffered and I think it was mostly due to some incompatibilities in the hardware). I've been browsing newegg and I've picked out the components. The main goal for this computer is to be a beast that's somewhat affordable. I'm trying to prepare for upcoming games as well as trying to be future proof with changing only one thing - like just swapping out a cpu or sli-ing another graphics card.

What I've got so far (Links are to newegg):
Case: APEX Vortex 3620 SGCC
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ975FBGMBOXHDT90ZFBGRBOX
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Disk Drive: SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-/+R 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Model SH-B123L/RSBP LightScribe Support

I realize that the video card and case aren't crucial to compatibility. I also have a 500 - 550 watt power supply along with a 500gb hard drive that I'll wipe from an old computer that I'll be using. Also, this will have a new install of windows 7 premium.

I'm curious to see if these will fit well together and give me no problems. I was also curious how much this pc would cost if I went out and bought it stock as it's going to cost around $900 to build myself.

Thanks, and I appreciate and tips and pointers.

I also remember seeing add in fan controllers that you would put in the front. Are they really useful, I mean wouldn't you want your fan on high all the time to be the coolest possible?

Please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

I would buy a Quad Core CPU with a faster clock speed for gaming. Games are just starting to use 4 cores and the faster each core is the better. With the X6 1090T your paying for two cores that won't be used and the four cores that are used are running slower. (Your link says X6 1090T but it goes to a X4 965?)

I would look at this instead or wait for the new Bulldozer chips, or go Intel.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ975FBGMBOX

I would go with a non Superclock card, you can overclock it yourself.

My apologies, I had completely forgotten about the edit feature.

I had initially picked out the quad core instead of the (Hex) core, that's why the link was messed up. I've changed to the quad core you mentioned as it's slightly better than the first one I picked out. I've also changed to the non superclocked version of the video card.

I know I picked out some reasonably good stuff and tweaked so far with your help. I'm just concerned about how compatible these all will be as that was the primary downfall of my first computer build.

I'll also fix the links to reflect the most current choices.

thanks again.

I've added a few things:

850watt power supply
Cooler Master hyper 212 plus
and a 1tb hard drive (haven't picked it yet)

I'm mostly worried about the cooler master hyper 212 plus fitting in the case i've picked other than that, I just want to make sure everything is compatible.

EDIT: I just found a 3.7 x4 phenom with coupon for $5 less so I'm swapping that out.

The Hyper 212 should fit in that case. The case is ~184mm wide, the Hyper 212 is 158.5mm tall...
For the hard drive I'd say go with the Spinpoint F3.

If you're preparing for upcoming games there are a few suggestions I would make:
The AMD PII x4 9xxBE series CPUs are the same, just different levels of factory overclock.
Save $30 and get the 965BE and overclock it to 975 or higher speeds yourself (only a 0.2GHz difference).
ASRock 970 Extreme4, has all the features you need and is $50 cheaper than the Gigabyte board you have.
Save another $30 by switching to a Silverstone 750W, still has plenty of juice to run 2 GPUs.

So what to do with the $110 shaved off components?
1) Better case, I'd suggest this or this.
2) Take the 90-$95 balance and get a GTX 560Ti or HD 6950, more performance for the games.

Roark: The way you explain the cpu's; are you saying that if i take a 965 and it starts at 3.4ghz, and the 980 and that starts at 3.7ghz. Let's say I over clock the 965 up to 4.4ghz, is that to say I can't make the same 1ghz jump with the 980?

Hypothetically, yes you should be able to make the same OC jump.
Not all CPU chips are created equal, I believe AMD just takes the chips and tests to see how high they will go at stock voltage with consistent temps, then charges a premium for the ones that they can push a few MHz higher while maintaining the same volts and temps.

Realistically, 0.2-0.3GHz isn't going to make a huge difference in gaming performance.
Also, considering the cooler you're buying you shouldn't be pushing a 1GHz increase anyway.

Realistically, 0.2-0.3GHz isn't going to make a huge difference in gaming performance.
Also, considering the cooler you're buying you shouldn't be pushing a 1GHz increase anyway.

That was only for the examples sake, there's no way i'd even think of trying to push them that far. I'll probably keep it stock for a while, and overclock when the system gets older/or I get bored.

EDIT:
- I've decided on some things, I'm going to take the 850W psu for two reasons: it was well rated (as was the silverstone 750W), but more than anything, it bothers me that the 750W doesn't have an/off switch, and that's important to me.

- I'm pretty sure I'm taking the 980 processor (It'll make me feel better knowing that for a few dollars, I got the better one.)
- As for the Motherboard, I feel I'm going to keep my original one. Again a lot of these decisions are coming down to pay for it now don't regret it later. The one I had first has a better warranty, more usbs in the back, and the most important factor: it looks pretty (just kidding, though it does look sleek, not that i'll ever just be staring at my motherboard.)

Okay, For compatibility sake, will the Motherboard, RAM, and CPU be compatible.

I just want everything to jive together. Also if it matters, I'll be running an oem windows 7 64 bit professional on all this.

Also, chances are I'll forgo the graphics card for the time being, and use my old geforce 8800 gs until i've truly made up my mind on that component.

Roark: I don't want you to think I'm just ignoring your suggestions, I'd just rather spend a little more now and have no regret later.

I just wanted to inform everyone who invested time helping me that I've decided on the parts (and have ordered some).

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX ...Not Ordered Yet
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 ...Not Ordered Yet
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz ...Ordered
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ...Not Ordered Yet
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM Not Ordered Yet
Disk Drive: SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM ...Ordered
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB ...Ordered
Case: APEX Vortex 3620 SGCCOrdered

I also have some cooling parts coming.

I'm trying to order the rest later today/tomorrow so i can build it as soon as possible, just in case there's an issue with something and I have to RMA it within the timeframe.

I also don't have the video card in there because I'm using an old one until I decide which one I want to drop money on.

EDIT: Can someone explain ssd's to me, what is their advantage? Should I have them as an os storage and then a normal hdd for everything else, I only ask because I read they perform better. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom