Shorted RAM slot, saveable M/B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrov

Beta member
Hello there. Hope someone can help me.

I'm running a vintage PC, socket 478, Celeron 2.66, 512MB DDR. Since some time, it simply began resetting or locking up itself intermittently. At an acquaintance of mine's advice, for troubleshooting motives, I decided to replace said DDR module with an older 256MB. Everything went fine, the problems disappeared. And then I got the unfortunate idea of testing a friend of mine's 512MB module. So I insert the thing, check it's properly inserted, and stick my finger into the power switch... and got the smell of something burning. Looked inside and saw smoke coming out of the 2x2 connector... or at least that's what it seemed. Removed the DDR, and saw that the slot had a small portion of it charred.

Now, I'm fully aware this is the wrong thread for this, but after I took a peek inside my PSU for a visual check-up, saw there was a bloated element, so took the thing summarily to be repaired. But when I got home the PC wouldn't start. So, considering that the PSU COULD be damaged, could the M/B be irreversibly damaged as well? Is there any way to know?

Help, please. Thanks

Uh, about it being the wrong thread for this, I had the idea this was divided into M/B, PSU, whatever-related issues. My bad. Sorry.

Please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Your mobo is dead.

Ah, sh...! Well, can't say I wasn't expecting it. A li'l harsh, though. Thank you, 'mate.

Time to buy a new one, it seems... This is gonna sting.

I really had no intention of being harsh, but in your case the reality of the situation is harsh. There is just no way of suger-coating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom